Chapter 58: Madelaine Scott

One year later

At Yale

A one year break is all I needed. With Jess by my side, our little apartment and the cat of our neighbour Matteo, our lives are complete. Not even to mention I finally had made a decision.

Yale University.

After working for one year I gave up, knowing I wanted more than working in a bookstore.

That is the place where I met Marty, a dear friend of mine. He told me about his life, how he had been broken by the divorce of his parents, his experience at Yale. He is the one who convinced me in the end, with a little help from Jess of course.

Marty and I walk over to my dorm after our last class of that day, knowing I have to leave for the weekend. Tomorrow, Jess' book would get published and I have to be at the launch party, meeting all his new important friends. I am proud of him.

'Aren't you a little scared that everyone will be able to read your story?' Marty asks when I open the door of my bedroom and I throw my bag on my bed, glad this day is over. University is exhausting.

'I am but that doesn't matter. Jess wants this and besides, how many people will figure out it's our story? He changed our names,' I remind him but he doesn't respond, still thinking.

'I'm sure it won't do any harm,' he agrees after a moment and I ask him to hand me some casual clothes for the party. 'But imagine if people do find out. Aren't you afraid they will blame him for you quitting dancing?' Marty's voice is soft, as if he's afraid to say something wrong.

'I have thought about that,' I admit and turn around to look at him, his gaze blank. 'Sometimes you have to take a risk in your life,' I add and raise both my eyebrows. Seems that in only one year, a lot could change.

'You think about the interview,' he remarks and I nod softly, thinking about the day where I fully told the truth. Dancing hasn't been all about fun, it was hard working, and sometimes with hard working comes an addiction.

I'm glad I have been able to escape the world of heroin. Some of my friends haven't. Not even Joanna. She died last year of an overdose. That is why I spoke up. I didn't even know she was struggling.

'I'm sorry,' Marty whispers when he sees my blurry gaze. I turn my head to him, knowing how bad he feels about reminding me. It doesn't matter.

'I told them the truth. Now the world knows why a part of me never wants to become a professional dancer and why my friend all of a sudden died,' I sigh and close my luggage in one zip. Life would be good again.

Only I can't stop thinking about the last day I have seen her. I lost two people in only one year. God needs some angels.

'Madelaine! Have you seen Paris' sweater, I can't ...' Rory holds at the door when she sees Marty and smiles shortly at him, only to walk in later. 'I haven't seen her sweater,' I interrupt her the second she opens her mouth again.

The coincidence that Rory and Paris are my roommates isn't that much a coincidence. Paris had taken care of it, only she never told us how.

Our other roommate, Tanna, never talks that much. She is only sixteen and incredibly smart. A rather weird figure. 'I should leave,' I notice and grab my luggage, Marty taking the other bag.

'Right, Jess' launch party is tomorrow,' Rory remembers. 'You are still welcome,' I try again but she declines, not wanting to see Jess at this point. I can't blame her, a lot has happened between those two.

In the hallway people whisper when we walk by, giving both Marty and I vague looks. At least this time it isn't about me being a dancer, it is about me giving that interview. I have helped a lot of people apparently.

'You're a hero,' Marty whispers and we both laugh loudly, walking out of Yale together.

Seeing Jess again.

(time skip)

Saturday 8pm

'I can't believe you wrote it,' I whisper when some guests leave Jess and I behind, and grab a book from the stack.

- Falling by Jess Mariano

It is all real. 'I promised you,' he says and pulls me closer to give me a soft kiss on my lips. How would I not fall for him?

Me being at Yale hasn't changed our normal habits. Every weekend, I come home and stay with him, sometimes even during the week. We would call every day, sometimes write each other letters. We love the old style.

'Grose,' A little girl says when she walks over to us, Luke behind her. I haven't seen him in a long time. 'Luke!' I say excited and open my arms to hug him, walking away from Jess. He doesn't mind. Not only my life has changed but so has Luke's.

All of a sudden he found out he has a daughter named April. She is definitely the smartest amongst us. 'I heard you started at Yale after the interview,' he says and releases his arms to get a look of me. Still proud as usual.

'The school asked for me to give a lecture about living a famous life. Instead of telling them all the great stuff I gave them some harsh things,' I admit and he laughs out loud. So does Jess. He knows all about it.

'Well, I'm proud of you,' he says soft. 'And of you,' he adds and glares at Jess. Both men all of a sudden uncomfortable. After a while Luke leaves us behind, and all guests leave one by one until we are alone in the bookstore, watching the shelf with Jess' book.

'No one thought I would end up here,' Jess claims and holds his hand around my waist. 'I did,' I whisper and look at him, wanting him to know that I have his back.

He turns to me softly, a smile on his face. 'You've always been there.'

'And I always will be,' I remind him. We kiss one last time and leave the bookstore, walking our way back to the apartment. Ready to start our complete new lives.

Soon, everyone would know about Jess Mariano. He would make history.