Chapter 24: You loved her

Jess' POV

'Taylor we have this discussion every year! I am not putting Christmas lights in my diner!'

Luke and Taylor have been yelling at each other since we opened the diner this morning. Apparently it is every year the same discussion: Taylor wants the whole town to participate in events and Luke is his usual self. Which means not doing anything event-related.

I give another customer coffee and watch both of them, for once an honest smile on my face. I can't help it. I am glad someone else but me can annoy Luke, although I think we are making progress. At least if that is what you call it.

The bell rings when two other customers arrive, pure joy on their faces. 'Good morning!' Lorelai says to Luke, realising how annoyed he is, which only makes her happier. Rory stumbles behind her mother, her face stuck in her book.

'Can I help you?' I say when they both sit behind the counter. Luke finally has find a way to get Taylor outside. 'Is that a serious question?' Lorelai mocks me.

'Two coffees it will be', I mumble and get a vague smile from Rory. 'Why is this period of the year always this busy? The holiday's haven't even started yet', Luke mumbles before he gives them their coffees.

'Maybe you shouldn't be that grumpy, enjoy the snow', Lorelai remarks. 'Yes uncle Luke, enjoy the fact that the whole street is covered in a cold and wet substance', I remark sarcastic and see another smile appear on Rory's face.

'Rory have you any idea if Madelaine is alright? She hasn't been around much lately', Luke notices. Rory looks up from her book, a little stunned for a moment.

'Um no, we haven't talked much lately. I am sure she is studying for her exams', she explains but gives me a short glance, letting me know something else is up. It is the moment Lorelai leaves for work and Luke goes to the storage room I know she will speak up, and she does.

'You know Madelaine from New York', Rory says, not at all forcing me to tell her about it. 'What makes you think that?' I ask casually.

'This', she opens her bag to show a newspaper from her high school. I look at the picture in the front, remembering the night before she had left me. I had dragged Madelaine along in my idiotic plan to escape her home and do random things. It is one of my best memories but the ending isn't very pleasing.

'That isn't me', I deny the fact. 'Yes, it is. She told me herself. Well, actually she had a lot of pressure on her and I could see it hurt her a lot', she keeps on rattling. Something in her eyes tells me she is afraid I am in love with Madelaine, and all I can come up with is thinking that this might be a chance to forget about her forever.

Rory isn't bad at all, but she is together with Dean. 'What happened with you both?' She asks when I don't answer. I give her the newspaper back, ignoring the fact that Paris has written that Madelaine was madly in love with me, even when she saw me back after three years.

I can't do this, I can't be with Madelaine there is always a problem. I guess mostly I started it by not explaining my feelings in situations I had to, and all she had done was trying to understand me. I have been mad because she left me when she didn't have a choice. I'm a complete jerk.

'Let me see that', Kirk takes the newspaper when he sits next to Rory, his eyes widening a little when he reads it. 'Enough', I hiss at him and take the newspaper to throw it in the garbage.

'Now it makes sense she didn't except my offer to dance with me at the marathon', he notices confused. I raise an eyebrow at him, and it clearly amuses Rory also.

'Yes Kirk, that might be the reason', I mock him, but he doesn't even realise it.

'You were in love with her?' Rory asks and I take another coffee pot to serve the customers, trying to ignore that question. 'Why do you care, you have a boyfriend', I say loud so she can hear it. A few customers turn their head at me, but I don't care.

Once I am back behind the counter Rory talks softer, clearly not wanting to make a big thing out of this. 'I am only wondering if you still like her', she says, raising her shoulders but I can see it is more.

I look past her and see Dean behind the window on the street, staring mad at me. My frown turns into a sly smile quickly and Rory notices.

'You should go to your boyfriend', I whisper, after leaning close to her and she turns around in a rush, her cheeks turning a little red.

'Of course I will', she mumbles but something about her attitude tells me she doesn't much care.

When I had first arrived in this town they seemed inseparable, but she might be liking me also, and I'm not the only one who has noticed. That night of the accident, I was afraid I might have hurt her, I wasn't a total loser.

It was hard to see her walking around with that cast, purely because I felt guilty. Or maybe I do like her in some sort of way.

It is the moment when Dean looks at me filthy another time before leaving, I realise he sees me as a threat. Maybe this can work out.