Chapter 52: Accept me

Jess' POV

Since my father has left, he has spend most of his life living in California. At least that is what he has told me. I can't tell myself. Luckily he gave me his address.

Everything would be alright. After graduation Madelaine would start University and we would visit each other on a regular time. We could do this. No exception at this point.

Leaving Stars Hollow has been more difficult than I thought it would be. Especially seeing Rory that last time on the bus. We barely had spoken, and I saw she was done with me.

At the party I had made the mistake of thinking she was in the same position as I was, but clearly she wasn't. I should've known better.

I walk out of the bus, holding a map in my hands when in the distance I see the beach and hundreds of people tanning. Silly idiots. So this is California. I shouldn't have worn a leather jacket.

I grab my luggage and start reading the map, hoping that before evening I will find the place my father calls home. I should've called him, now I'm only a surprise. I never told Madelaine that I hadn't informed my father about my little visit. I would only upset her even more.

In the end, it takes me two hours and one annoying man to find the small house, hidden between the bushes. Close at the beach. He should call this his paradise. The moment I walk over to the fence, at least seven dogs run over to me. All of them barking.

'What the hell' I say shocked and look up when I hear a woman's voice. 'They don't bite!' She yells and I see a woman with short white hair on the roof of the house. 'Well, at least most of them don't. Come in!' She adds, and climbs down a ladder.

'I'll bite you back,' I mumble to the dogs before opening the fence and walk over to the surprised woman. 'I'm Natasha,' she introduces herself. I keep quiet. Her eyes widen a little and she nods unsure, knowing I'm not a talker.

'Jess ...' I mumble after a moment. 'Jess ... Mariano'.

'Mariano,' she repeats. Confusion all over her face. 'I was wondering if Jimmy is home. My father', I add. She has no clue apparently. So far the surprises.

'Right. Give me a moment, he is at work,' she says softer and walks in the house, not even inviting me in. This woman has no idea about his son. He hasn't told her about me. My stomach turns around a few times before she walks out again, and gestures I should follow her. So I do.

'You don't know...' I start when she walks in a hurry past some people. I can't even tell if she is mad. 'Not the first secret Jimmy hid from me,' she says but still manages to get a smile on her face.

'Look, Jess I'm sorry about my behaviour. Jimmy has his own fast food stall near the beach, I'll show you.' Without saying a word I follow her. It seems that she knows every person around here. How could people constantly smile? It makes me sick.

'Tom! I found your jacket yesterday' She yells when we pass a funfair. 'Thank you, darling!' A stranger yells back and she shakes her head slightly. This man wants more from her, I could tell. After a five minute walk we arrive at a fast food stall, my father commanding some people. He does have his own business, it isn't a joke.

'Jimmy, I have a surprise for you,' Natasha says, but I could hear she isn't pleased. My father turns around and gets a look at both of us, his eyes widening a little.

'Hey,' I say unsure, hoping he would be glad to see me after all. I have no one else. 'You are here,' he answers a little stunned and turns to Natasha again.

'Darling, ...'

'We talk later,' she assures him before turning around. 'Jess, you are having dinner with us tonight!' She adds, and walks away. My father walks around his stall to a small table and I follow his lead, both of us sitting down in silence. Again. The same scene as in Luke's.

'Look, I should've called you,' I notice and truly feel guilty for one moment. 'No, no this is my fault. I should've told Natasha,' he mumbles. Silence again. 'I can leave ...'

'No, stay please. I mean, I have to work for a few hours, but after that we can hang out. You can walk around town, ...'

'No, I'll stay here. I have my book,' I sigh and take it from my back-pocket. Almost proud of his face. 'You're a reader,' he notices before standing up and leaves me behind to work again. With mixed feelings I stay in place, acting as if I'm reading but I can't concentrate on any words.

He hasn't told his new family about his own son, yet, he still seems glad to see me here. I can't tell if he is just a big liar or honest with me. I truly couldn't.

That evening I go home with him, have dinner with him, Natasha and Natasha's weird daughter who constantly locks herself in the closet. At least she is a reader also.

Everything seems fine and I feel as if I'm welcome here. But sometimes, life throws other surprises at you. Things you don't see coming.