Chapter 49: The Future

One Week Later

'You are going back to New York and don't even tell me? How is this a new start?' I ask confused while my father packs his luggage.

'It isn't,' he mumbles. I could see the pain in his eyes over the loss of mom. He hasn't eaten a proper meal in a few days. We decided to keep the funeral small. Together, my parents had arranged every detail of it, including the music.

I thought they were crazy but on the other hand it is good to know my mom planned everything the way she wanted.

'You can come with me,' he says after a moment. I catch his gaze in the mirror, the hope all over his face. 'I can't. I haven't applied to any universities close-by. Besides, I love Stars Hollow.'

'Yes but have you received your applications already?' He raises one eyebrow and I shake my head slowly, knowing they must have arrived by now. Only one week until graduation. I have to go back.

'Look, I really want you to come back and live with me. I think we both finally understand how important family is,' he explains soft. I raise both my eyebrows, getting a little mad I turn around to see the view. Not wanting to watch him.

'You should've known way earlier,' I mumble. The sounds behind me stop for one second, but when he doesn't respond he goes on, ignoring my statement. 'I need some fresh air,' I whisper then and leave the room after taking my coat. Leaving my father in his grief.

The sudden death of my mother hurts but in some way it feels like nothing has changed. I got so used to living alone, being away from her that everything still seems the same. Ignoring the pain in my heart.

'Brad,' I say when I call him, hearing him sigh concerned. 'How are you? If I can do something ...'

'I'm fine, I already told you that,' I remind him. He doesn't seem convinced. 'Still I'm concerned about you,' he admits unsure. 'Are you coming back for graduation? The principal wants you to give a speech.'

'I will be there,' I assure him when I see Jess in the park, reading a book as usual. A smile appears on my face. 'Brad, I have to go.'

'Good but call me if you need -'

'Bye Brad,' I say with a big grimace and hang up on him. He would never give up.

I quickly run over the street, making sure no car would hit me and walk over to the bench Jess sits on, his forehead in one big frown. At least until the moment he notices me.

'You got away from your father,' he remarks, smiling briefly and stands up to give me a hug. I hold my arms tight around him and the moment I want to release he holds me in place, looking down on me.

'You alright?' He asks and I nod, dreaming away in his eyes. He kisses my softly after that, knowing that if something is wrong I wouldn't kiss him back, but I do. God I love him.

'Dad wants me to join him in New York,' I explain once we sit down. His arm around me. 'Are you going to?' Jess asks curious but I can see the suspicion in his eyes.

'I'd rather stay in Stars Hollow, but I figured if I do you won't be there with me.' The sadness is hearable. 'Maddy, I can't go back. I-'

'I know, you don't have to explain,' I assure him and we keep quiet for a moment. 'I just want you to be happy and do what you want to do.' His eyes widen a little when I tell him this but I can see he appreciates it. Our whole lives everyone told us who to be. We could be ourselves around each other.

'I have to tell you something,' he says after a moment and takes his arm back to take something from his bag. Envelopes.

'Letters?' I ask confused, remembering the way we used to write each other. But he shakes his head and I can see these letters are a lot bigger.

'University,' he mumbles and hands them over to me. Harvard, Yale, Oxford. My eyes widen with every second until I see the fourth letter.

'Juilliard?' I ask unsure. 'I never applied for Juilliard.' A grimace appears on his face when he pulls me closer again, afraid I might get mad. 'Both me and Brad thought your destiny might be there,' he explains amused, my mouth wide open. 'Brad?'

'I thought he might know if you were interested in that school since you've been friends with him all those years. I found his house rather quick.' He seems so proud.

'You didn't scare him, did you?' I ask in shock and he laughs out loud, shaking his head. 'I wouldn't,' he assures me.

After that I look down at the huge envelopes, starring at all the different names.

'What are you going to do?' Jess asks after a while of resting his head against mine. I can see the worry on his face.

'I want to stay with you,' I admit, knowing he isn't going to college at all. 'I'll be living in California,' he whispers.

'You don't have to. I'm sure Luke will take you back.' But I'm not at all. 'Seems like we're at the beginning again,' he notices, his voice cracking a little.

'We don't have to be,' I assure him and softly kiss him, showing him we will be together. 'This is your future,' he says once our lips aren't attached anymore. His hand resting on the back of my head.

'And I want you in it,' I answer, getting another unsure smile.

Kisses again.