Chapter 53: The Yearbook

'People only talk about you,' Brad notices excited when I walk through the gates of Chilton by his side. Only two days ago I finished my last exam and this morning got confirmation that I would graduate. At least something good has happened.

Now everyone is here to sign each other's yearbook and cry over lost friendships. I didn't want to come in the first place but Brad basically dragged me along. I miss Jess.

'I don't want them to talk about me,' I say again and get an annoying glance of him. Maybe all he wants is fame, but I don't. That is why I escaped it in the first place and by going back to Paris, I finally saw that I hadn't been wrong about my decisions.

'Jess told you about Juilliard I suppose,' Brad tries another conversation when we walk in the building, ignoring a few curious gazes. 'I still haven't decided, if that is what you are wondering about.'

'We could go together, live our dreams,' he sighs deep. Dreaming away. 'You mean your dream?' I raise an eyebrow and get an understanding look for the first time today. 'Sorry, Madelaine.'

Together we walk in the dining hall, brand new yearbooks stacked on the table of Madeline and Louise. Of course they have to pass them out again. We wait in the line until it is our turn, both their eyes lighting up when they see me.

'Madelaine Scott,' Louise says approving and crosses something of her list. With no reason Madeline rips a paper out of it and hands me a yearbook. 'Why ...' I start but they continue.

'Brad Langford,' both of them sigh annoyed and do the exact same thing as before. 'But that is the only page I'm on,' Brad notices when they rip the paper out of it again.

'Really?' Louise asks, and gets another look of it. 'Right,' she adds and rips his picture out of it. We both look at them not understanding until they give in.

'Fine, that page has a horrible picture of us on it. We can't be remembered like that!' Louise's voice raises with every word and I nod a little. I would never understand them.

In the following minutes a few people approach me, wanting to sign their yearbook. I have no idea who they are in the first place, but does that really matter?

They also sign my yearbook, using those irritating quotes as:

'Best friends forever!'

'We will stay in touch!'

I have no idea who those people are. The only familiar name is Brad's at this point. I walk over to Paris' stand, knowing not a lot of people would like to approach her and get a mad look from her.

'As a celebrity, the least you can do is sign my petition,' she mumbles and hands me a form. 'A petition about ...'

'Doesn't matter. Sign.' She demands me but I put it down in a second. 'Rather not,' I sigh the moment when Rory walk over to us, her face full of guilt. 'I was hoping to see you here,' she admits soft. Her blue eyes a little startled when Paris jumps of her seat.

'Everyone wants to see her!' She yells and runs away, leaving us behind. 'I'm sorry about your mother,' Rory says after a moment of silence. 'I'm fine, but thank you,' I answer, the tensity in the air.

We look around for a while, not sure what to tell each other. This isn't the friendship we created three years ago. I used to love hanging around with her.

'I'm sure it must not be easy to get all this attention now,' she remarks the moment a group of girls pass us, whispering my name. I nod softly, almost laughing about it. 'I tried to escape so much and still I'm in the same position,' I whisper.

'Your career?' Rory guesses. 'Kind of,' I admit, but that isn't the whole truth. She could see it also. 'Jess,' she mumbles after a moment. I look her right in the eyes, seeing nothing but compassion, not even anger. What could I tell her?

'I saw a picture of you two in Paris in the newspaper. Big news in Stars Hollow,' she laughs a little about it, but I couldn't. 'Rory, I never meant to ...'

'No, it is fine. Believe me. Jess has a lot of troubles and I could feel it quickly that I couldn't help him but you can,' she explains.

'I'm not sure I can,' I finally tell the truth, but she doesn't agree. 'You inspire him to be a better person, that means something.'

'He can become so much,' I tell, thinking back of all the things he could do if only he tried. Jess is much smarter than everyone thinks. Even Luke has seen that.

'Of course he can. He just needs someone to support him,' Rory winks and both of us laugh for the first time in months. Maybe we could fix our problems after all.

'You know, Madelaine. I need some coffee,' she says questionable and raises an eyebrow at me. 'Why don't we run away and join Luke's?'

'I'm in,' I sigh and arm in arm we walk out of the room. Ignoring more curious gazes. I only need my friends, not those who pretend to be. Rory would always be there after all.

That is what counts.