Chapter 16: Doose's Market

'Are you feeling good?' Lydia asks when I sit at the table a few nights later. I haven't been able to eat something, not even a little bite of the chocolate cake she has made for me. Having a maid at home can be useful, but Lydia is more of a friend to me than an employee. I care a lot for her and she does for me.

'I'm fine', I mumble when I stare out of the window into our huge garden. My parents have exaggerated by buying this house. You can better call it a maze. Lydia lays her towel down, staring at me from the other side of the counter. A soft glance on her face.

'I ran into Jess at Doose's', she admits after a while. I look away from her, not quite sure what to tell. I have been avoiding the town the last couple of days and she has noticed it also. Since when does Jess even go to our local market?

'Why didn't you tell me?', she breaks the silence again and I know I can't ignore this conversation. 'He doesn't talk to me. At least not like we used to', I whisper.

'He seems even more angry than back in New York', she notices and I nod in agreement. I have no idea why Jess all of a sudden is in Stars Hollow, no one has ever explained that part to me.

I sigh deep, standing up from my chair when Lydia grabs the phone, calling a number. 'I'll order pizza and you make sure to get your homework done. Your education is more important than a boy', she reminds me. 'Thank you', I say soft before walking to the stairs.

I have to get my life back in control, but something tells me that will be harder than I might think.

(time skip)

'My mother asks if you want to stay for dinner today?' Brad asks when we walk out of the gate. I have spent a lot of time studying at his house lately, not wanting to go back to Stars Hollow. I even let my driver, Gilbert, pick me up at school. Only not to walk past Luke's.

I know everything I do is madness. That is why I decide to go back to work. 'I have to work. But thanks', I say before we both leave for our rides to pick us up. The whole ride back to Stars Hollow, Gilbert hasn't said a word to me. He isn't much of a talker unless you start the conversation. I'm not in the mood either.

In front of Doose's, Gilbert stops the car, letting me out of it. 'You want me to pick you up after work?' he asks over the sound of the engine. 'I'll walk home', I assure him before closing the door.

Luke has called me many times to apologize for not telling me about Jess' visit. I can't stay mad at Luke, he has been a father to me. So I decide to help him by buying some stock at Doose's.

The small shop isn't crowded at all and at the cash desk, Dean is packing someone's stuff, hard working as he always is.

'For Luke?' he asks when I lift all the burgers and vegetables on it. 'No, I'm very hungry', I say sarcastic while he scans everything. 'Are you coming to Romeo and Juliet this Saturday?' I ask when our conversation drops.

'Of course. I don't want to miss it'. Something about the look in his eyes tells me he doesn't feel good and I know why. He doesn't trust Tristan. Lately no one does.

'I'll see you there', I say before I walk out of the store, crossing the street to walk to Luke's. 'Madelaine', Kirk nods a little when he holds the door open and I walk inside, holding the heavy box in my arms. 'Thank you!' I yell to him and search for Luke.

The only person I can see is Ceasar and asking him for help won't be an option. I stumble over to the storage room when Jess walks past me, grabbing the box when I almost let it fall. Our eyes meet for a moment, our hands touching when we hold the box together.

I can feel the heat raise up my cheeks. Even he seems stunned for a moment. 'Hey', he whispers.

'Hey'.