Chapter 19: Romeo And Juliet

'Where the hell is Tristan!' Paris yells right in my face. The hall is filling with parents and family, wanting to see our performance. Of course no one is here to watch me but I can't care less. I am only playing a tree.

I look around in a rush, hoping Tristan will walk through the door immediately but I can't find him. Once I see Brad run inside I can tell he is as lost as we are. He turns pale when Paris looks at him filthy as if she will strangle him any second.

'How are we playing Romeo and Juliet without Romeo!' She yells again. 'He isn't here?' Rory asks concerned, followed by Dean who seems to enjoy the situation. 'I'll look for him', I mumble and take Brad by his arm. Both of us run through the hallways but even after 10 minutes, he is nowhere.

I run around the corner only to bump into Lorelai and Luke. 'You came', I whisper stunned when I notice him. His head turns a little red when he realises how glad that makes me. 'Of course', he says after a while. Someone lays his hand on my arm, shaking me to get my attention.

I take a look at Brad, glory all over his face. 'Tristan', he says and I turn around to see him talk with Rory. Dean not looking very pleased in the crowd.

'We are saved', I say relieved. 'What?' Lorelai laughs at us but I shake my head. 'Nothing', I say before running over to both of them, but once we arrive Tristan walks away, following his dad. I look confused at Rory who seems even more worried than before. 'What...'

'He got expelled, his father is taking him to military school', she whispers. I can clearly see how much that hurts her, and I would lie if I tell it doesn't hurt me. With one last look at us, Tristan walks around the corner, disappearing.

After that Paris stops by our side, her eyes widening in madness. 'What!' She screams, getting the attention of everyone. 'Come with me, now', she hisses at Rory and they leave us behind. 'I'm sick', Brad mumbles and I lay my hand on his shoulder not wanting him to vomit on the stage.

(time skip)

It turns out Paris has a plan B after all. The people watched a Romeo and Juliet performance with no one less than Paris Geller and Rory Gilmore as the lead roles. The kiss was my favourite part. Even Dean could bring up a smile.

The most important thing of tonight is that we will get a good grade for our production. Once the lights turns of I walk down the stage, Dean offering me a hand when I hold up my ugly green dress. I look at the entrance and see Jess lean against it, his face amused before he turns around.

'Excuse me', I mumble when I leave the others behind. I run towards the corridor, seeing Jess' back towards me.

'Jess wait!' I say loud, my voice echoing against the walls. He turns around, not as pleased anymore. Not saying a word.

'Why are you here?' I ask silent and walk closer, wanting to see the hope in his eyes. But there is no hope. 'Luke dragged me along', he mumbles.

'I don't believe that', I answer, knowing that he wouldn't do something he doesn't want to. He sighs deep, looking a little annoyed. 'You don't think I came all the way to Hartford to see you act like a tree?' He asks a little tense.

If I didn't know better I would say he is mad. I don't understand where this comes from. 'No, I just..'

'Luke dragged me along', he repeats as if he needs to convince himself. I only nod, hearing Paris' voice yelling my name. I turn around and her eyes widen a little when she sees Jess. 'That is him', she notices and walks closer quickly.

When I turn around Jess is almost at the door, not even saying goodbye. 'That is the mysterious boy from New York. Give me his name I need it', she says desperate. 'You are insane', I whisper and walk back to the hall, feeling horrible after that last conversation.

This is exactly the problem with him, you never know what is going on in his mind. I would do anything just to understand him, but he never let me. 'Madelaine, please!' Paris yells upset when I join Lorelai and Luke again. Him clearly noticing my pain.

'You okay?' He asks. 'I thought you were here with Jess?' I ask confused. 'Jess?' He asks laughing. 'No he is in the diner or wandering the streets, who knows?' He mumbles.

After that I can only stare in front of me, barely hearing the things people say to me. He has only come here to confront me. Again.