Chapter 11: Luke's Diner

A week at Chilton has passed and still I haven't found a moment to talk with Brad. Being part of Paris' friend group means being there for each other. No matter what. Although I always thought that Madeline and Louise weren't that good of friends.

They are completely different from us. Hanging around with boys and partying aren't my favourite things to do. I only need a book and some good coffee.

'You are going home?' Tristan walks next to me, scaring me for a second. 'Why?' I ask doubtful. 'Well, we have a party at my place tonight. Thought you might want to join'.

'You told me your parents are out of town Tristan', I turn to him quickly, not quit understanding his attitude. 'My parents don't have to know', he defends himself. I sigh deep, rolling my eyes when I walk past him.

'You are no fun Maddy', he teases me on my way to the gate. 'I am no fun? What has happened to you all of a sudden? This isn't you'. He stares at me for a while, his eyes narrowing mine when he nods a little.

'Fine, be a Marry', he mumbles before turning around. I see him walk away, wondering where the Tristan I had met three years ago went. I quickly realise that he isn't the problem, it are the guys he started to hang out with.

'Has he left you already?' Paris asks sarcastic when she walks past me. 'I don't like him!' I defend myself again but it doesn't matter. Once Paris has an idea in her head it is hard to convince her of something else.

Rory doesn't wait with me at the bus stop. Instead she goes to her grandparents who live here in Hartford. Emily and Richard Gilmore. I have met them once when I was younger. They aren't my kind of people. Everything is too formal. I don't want to live in a world like that.

I put Romeo and Juliet down when someone sits next to me, his face unsure when he clearly avoids my gaze.

'You are Brad, right?' I ask silently. For a second he looks at me, nodding in front of him in answer to my question. 'Are you feeling alright?' I ask when his face turns completely white. I try to catch his gaze and when he finally looks at me, there is only fear in his eyes.

'You... You know who I am?' He startles a little. 'Of course, we've had class for three years together', I smile at him, trying to ease the tension. At least it seems to comfort him.

'Look, I am very sorry about that incident with Tristan. I wanted to apologize earlier but you seem to disappear rather quick', I explain. 'I spend most of the breaks in the bathroom', he answers quickly, immediately regretting that. 'You... Why?'

'Because I don't have much friends around here. It is a safe place', Brad tries to assure me. 'Maybe we can have lunch sometime?' I suggest but he immediately shakes his head.

'Your friends wouldn't like that. O, my bus is coming', he rattles and almost runs in the bus once the doors open. I stare in front of me for a while, realizing how rare Brad is. Still there is something about him, he has potential. He can become so much, only he seems to be afraid for speaking up.

(time skip)

'Shouldn't you go home?' Luke asks when I realise it is 8pm. I stare at him confused for a moment. 'But it's Friday. I always work late on Fridays', I remind him.

'I know but there is this event going on outside, you should have some free time'. His eyes narrow mine when he washes the dishes. Waiting for me to take of my apron.

'Fine', I sigh, not looking forward to face anyone. I am in this kind of mood where I don't feel myself, as if something is wrong and I can't find out what it is. Before I leave the phone starts ringing and I walk over to it, trying to take my time. 'Luke's diner how may I help you?'

'Luke? You aren't Luke where is he?' A woman's voice asks a little tense. 'He is doing the dishes can I take a message?' I suggest while taking a pen and a piece of paper.

'Tell my brother he has to call me back. It is about Jess', the woman remarks before hanging up. I stand there completely frozen. It is about Jess.

'Jess', I whisper. I haven't heard someone mentioning that name in a long time.