Chapter 59: We Made It

Stars Hollow

'Luke's Diner', Jess sighs when we stand in front of the building. The place where it all started again.

Together we walk in, some curious gazes following us. They remember us, only some of them don't seem as pleased to see Jess again. He has done a lot of things wrong here. We don't care.

'Madelaine!' Lane stands behind the counter, taking her apron of before hugging me, her stomach thicker than normal. 'Lane, are you ...'

'Pregnant! I know!' Lane Kim is pregnant? With a strict mother like hers I wouldn't ever dare to get in the open with a skirt.

'Zach is the father,' she says when we release each other and I look over to her old band-mate on the other side of the counter. Seems like Luke needs some help around here.

'Congratulations,' I say and so does Jess. We order our usual meal and sit behind the counter, excited to hear her whole story. Seems that her relation with Dave didn't work out but she didn't blame him. She is getting twins now.

'Post!' Someone yells when the bell rings and Kirk walks in with a stack of envelopes, Lane already signing. I miss this old town.

'This time give us the right letters, Kirk.'

'I'm trying, it is all so complicated,' he complains. I laugh softly, getting his attention in a second, his eyes widening a little. 'Madelaine,' he mumbles and nods a little towards me before running out of the diner. What have I done to him?

'Kirk, the letters!' Lane yells but it is already too late. Without any warning all the guests walk out of the diner, leaving their food behind. Gathering around outside.

'What are they doing?' I ask confused and want to stand up but Jess holds me in place, shaking his head a little. 'Stupid town traditions,' he mumbles and Lane agrees, nodding her head in a strange way. They are lying. 'Good ...' I say unsure.

After five minutes Luke comes downstairs, lying to me just like the others while the whole town seems to gather around outside. I couldn't sit here, something is going on. Finally, after what seems forever, Jess stands up and grabs my hand, forcing me to come outside.

'What about the stupid town tradition?' I ask sarcastically and he raises an eyebrow, knowing I'm mocking him. 'You want to see this,' he assures me and opens the door. Together with Lane and Luke I walk outside, the whole town square decorated with balloons, flowers and little lights.

The sun is already going under, and all the citizens stand in a circle around the gazebo, watching us. 'What is this?' I ask confused but Jess doesn't answer and drags me to the gazebo. The moment we stand under it I see a huge banner with my name on it over his shoulder, as if welcoming me back at home.

I stare at Jess a little amused, nervous for whatever is about to happen. I can see everyone. Dean, Lane, Kirk, Lorelai and Rory, Luke, Brad, Tristan, ... They are all here. All the people who have loved me.

In the distance I see Lydia leaning against a pillar with next to her my old driver Gilbert. Tears fill my eyes when I focus back on Jess, holding my hands tight.

'What is ...'

'We are all here to support you,' Jess whispers.

He releases my hands and once he gestures to the back some people start playing on music. The last song I have danced on in Paris. They all dance along in their own way, making me smile even brighter. This is what true friendship means. This is family.

After a moment Jess grabs my hand and drags me along in the crowd of people, dancing all together with them. We switch dance partners, me ending up with Brad for one moment. We don't talk, we only laugh, glad to see each other again.

The moment the music stops another tree gets lit up by fairy lights, Jess taking both my hands again, our faces close.

'Why did you organize this?' I ask stunned. People stand around us, some of them holding up candles, others carrying flowers with them. The whole square colourful.

Jess sighs a little, getting a look of me when he holds me tighter against him ... before kneeling down. I gasp.

'After all you've been through and all the things we have faced together I want to give you something special,' he explains softly. His voice unsure. It is nothing like him to do this in public. He would never.

'You already gave me something special', I remind him, thinking of the book. He doesn't agree and sighs even deeper, struggling with his words.

'You deserve the whole universe, Madelaine Scott,' he whispers. 'We can conquer the world together, for the rest of our lives.' He reaches for his jacket, only to take a small box out of it, ready to open it when tears fill is eyes.

I start crying, knowing that this way he is telling me to never leave him. I won't.

I sink down on my knees also, holding my arms around his neck, wanting to hug him even more at this point.

'Will you marry me?' He whispers and I nod my head, not able to get out any words. 'Yes!' I finally cry out and everyone around us starts screaming and throwing flowers. Celebrating our new life.

I guess that some stories do have happy endings, no matter how much you struggle, no matter how many times you fall.

Because that is all I had been doing... Falling.

The end