Chapter 15: Jane Austen

'No, you are all doing it wrong!', Paris shouts when we rehearse our scene in the local dance school of Stars Hollow. I sit down next to Rory, watching her complain about all the mistakes we have made.

The conclusion is that Rory isn't good enough for Juliet, Tristan is nothing like Romeo and Brad and I aren't convincing trees. What a surprise.

I look over my shoulder when Paris stares annoyed at the door, seeing Dean standing in the doorway. Not at all pleased.

'Why is Dean here?' I ask Rory when I see her face a little panicked. I can't tell if she knew he would come. 'Dean is a little protective. He doesn't like Tristan much', she mumbles when Paris yells her name, asking her to join the stage again.

I stand up and walk over to Dean. He and Rory have been together for at least a year right now. We all know he is very jealous.

'Hey', I say soft but he doesn't even look at me when he mumbles something, focusing on his girlfriend. 'Paris is kind of irritated by our acting but we can't blame her, we are horrible', I try to clear the air but it doesn't work.

Only a vague smile appears but fades away once Tristan leans to Rory, wanting to do the kissing scene.

'Line?' Tristan asks right in front of Rory's face, a deep sigh of Paris going through the room. 'You only have to kiss her!' She yells devastated and throws her script at Brad. 'It would have been easier if you had played Juliet', Dean whispers after that.

'I'm sure Rory isn't looking forward to this', I remark. Tristan starts laughing, sitting up straight again when he looks challenging at Paris. 'What now?' she asks.

'I just want this kiss to be perfect. You know after our first one...' he looks at Rory, clearly pleased with himself. My eyes widen a little when he says that and Rory sits up also, madness in her eyes.

'Tristan', she breathes in disbelief. I look up at Dean but he doesn't even move a little, as if he hasn't heard anything of this. 'I'm done here', Tristan notices and jumps of the stage, running past me and Dean.

'You can't go!' Paris screams when she follows him on the streets. 'Come back now!' Her voice echoes in the night. 'Please say he comes back', Brad whispers when he runs behind them.

One by one we leave and I walk home, all alone in the dark, trying to read another book in the soft light of the lanterns. I'm behind with my homework, all the repetitions Paris wants to host, my work at the diner, it has all been a lot lately.

I walk around the corner, my book falling on the ground when I trip over something. I sigh, wanting to kneel down when someone is faster than me, taking the book without effort.

'Jane Austen?' Jess ask, leaving me completely stunned. I don't say anything for a moment, only to stare in his familiar eyes.

'That is what you say after three years?' I ask hurt. He looks down, I can see the regret in his eyes but I still can't tell why.

'A lot has happened', he answers eventually. 'We would write each other', I notice. Jess looks up at me, nodding a little before handing me my book again. I take it without saying a word and walk past him towards my driveway.

'I kept them', he says when I walk up the stairs to my house. 'Excuse me?'

'Your letters, I kept them'. Jess turns around when I keep staring at him. My emotions taking control over my body. A tear runs down my cheek when I take my key and walk in the house. Sinking down against the door once I'm in.

How can one person have this much control over me?