Chapter 39: The Party

Brad and I caught up all our waisted time, hanging out, reading books. I even got invited to another dinner with his mother. Things finally seem normal again.

That is until I get home and my father urges me to join him on his trip to Paris. Of course I will visit my mother, I'm not a monster. The only problem is that my last month at Chilton is about to start and I have to make my finals in order to graduate.

I'm planning everything out, or at least trying to, until one moment Lydia takes my schedule away from me, raising an eyebrow.

'What?' I ask confused and she takes a seat next to mine, crossing her arms. 'I get you are trying to be perfect, Madelaine. But I heard from a very nice lady that this night, there is a party at Kyle's house?' Her eyes widen a little when I keep staring at her, hoping I would give in.

'Ugh Madelaine, for once be a teenager, please!' She stands up and dances around the room towards the bookcase, holding up a few books. 'These are very useful but do you know what else is? Partying with your friends!'

I laugh by the look on her face and put my notebook away. She always knows how to convince me. I only feel bad about not being able to invite Brad anymore, but still, I know enough people in Stars Hollow.

Around ten I have found a proper outfit, which means something casual and bike over to Kyle's house, whoever that might be. The music leads me to the party.

Inside, the hallway is filled with people, so is the kitchen and the living room where Lane is playing songs with her new band. She sits behind the drums, happier than I have ever seen her before. Her mother is rather strict when it comes to parties and I can't but wonder how she got here.

'Madelaine!' Dean walks over to me, followed by a blonde girl, holding his hand. I look at them surprised and give both of them a hug. 'I'm Lindsay,' she says.

'Madelaine.'

'Dean, have you seen Rory?' I ask when I don't recognize anyone else. Lindsay looks at the ground, maybe I shouldn't have brought her up. 'No, but I see him,' Dean gestures in the direction of the front door and when I turn around I see Jess leaning against it, not at all interested.

'That is also good,' I say quickly and leave them behind to walk over to Jess. Once he catches my gaze his eyes widen, looking at the dress I'm wearing but looks at the ground in only a second, knowing he shouldn't. For one moment it makes me quite excited.

'You don't look good,' I say and take a beer from a guy who hands it over to me. 'Thanks,' Jess answers confused. I start laughing, knowing how bad that must have sound.

'I mean you don't look like you want to be here. Otherwise you wouldn't stand here alone,' I notice and drink from the beer. 'Maybe you shouldn't do that,' Jess remarks when he takes the cup out of my hand, letting his other hand rest on my waist. As close as we would ever get.

I step back, not knowing what to say and take my beer again. He rolls his eyes barely noticeable. 'Where is Rory?' I look around the room but can't find her until I follow Jess' gaze towards the band.

'She's been there all night?' I ask again. 'What do you care?' I raise my shoulders, not sure why I would even care.

'Aren't you dancing?' I ask once my cup is empty and throw it on the ground as most people do. 'You know I don't dance,' he says but even I can see the smile when he thinks back at something.

'You are thinking about New York,' I remark but he shakes his head, only to admit it after that. 'That was a good night,' he admits and for once we both laugh about something we used to share. 'You were a great dancer,' I notice and take him by his arm to drag him along with me, but he resists, dragging me back to the door.

'I don't like these kind of parties, you know that'. And I did know that. 'Then why are you here?' I raise an eyebrow, the answer obvious.

'Rory wanted to come,' he mumbles. 'Tell me, does she ever do something you want to do?' The words came out of my mouth before I even realize it, my head feeling a little dizzy. I can tell he wants to answer me harsh but he sighs instead, leaning against the wall.

'You shouldn't drink,' he whispers. That moment Rory walks over to us, and hugs me shortly.

'I'm glad Brad is back at Chilton, he seemed to miss you a lot,' Rory notices and I wonder for one short moment if she is trying to get Jess pissed. 'I'm also glad,' I mumble and leave them behind, not wanting to talk about this. The band stops playing and I join them in the kitchen where I find all the magical drinks.

'Lane give me another beer,' I say and she does immediately. 'You guys are so good! I can't believe I've never seen you playing before.'

'Thank you,' Zach, the guitarist answers before taking another sip. I look over at the tallest of them, also the most nerdiest, named Bryan who can't keep his eyes of me. This feels very uncomfortable.

'Bryan stop staring at her as if she's a pizza. He's only a fan of you,' Zach explains and I nod. This isn't making it any easier. Dave, the bass player of the band keeps quiet the whole time and I wonder what is on his mind. If Lane wouldn't like him I even might give him a chance, he seems trustable.

I shake my head at that thought, declare myself crazy and walk back to the front door to meet Jess and Rory. But they are gone.