Chapter 10: Chilton

Chilton definitely is a high class school, a little ancient and the uniforms we have to wear are still kind of cute. I look at reflexion in the window every morning , waiting for the bus to pick me up. I don't want my driver to bring me to school. He won't mention our little agreement to my mother and neither will I.

My blue with white skirt is knee length, and the usual dark blue vest with the symbol of Chilton makes me look way too serious. Luckily, I'm not the only dummy in Stars Hollow who looks like this every weekday. And there comes Rory, running towards the bus stop with two coffees in her hand.

'You are late', I notice when she hands me a coffee. Her cheeks turning red from the running. 'You know my mom. She didn't want to get out of bed', Rory sighs and we both laugh. Her mother Lorelai is a well-known and loved citizen of this village. You can't hate her.

'Well it is the first day of school. I'm glad that this year we can go together to Chilton', I notice. 'Me too. Last year when I started at Chilton my mom showed up as a cowboy'.

'I remember that', I say, a grimace appearing on my face. 'You better don't', she answers shortly. Kirk runs towards us when the bus turns around the corner, ready to bring us to school.

'Madelaine, wait!' He yells and leans forward after that, completely out of breath. 'Are you okay, Kirk?' He nods a little and takes a small book out of his jacket, pointing it to me.

'I figured you like reading. My mom once gave this to me, but I didn't much enjoy it', he explains. I take the book from him, staring at it confused.

'Romeo and Juliet?' I ask. 'Kirk, don't tell me you didn't enjoy Romeo and Juliet', Rory says in disbelief. 'Well, it is rather tragic', he defends himself when our bus stops.

'Well, thank you but I have to leave now', I notice when the others jump on it. One last time we wave at each other and next to Rory I take a seat completely out of the blue.

'Since when does Kirk give you books?' 'He has never given me anything'.

'Well, it is sweet', she says and raises an eyebrow. 'Rory please! He is four years older than us. Besides ... it's Kirk', I say before putting the novel away. Preparing for another day at Chilton.

(time skip)

'If it isn't Madelaine Scott', Tristan walks over to me, his perfect blond hair neatly as always, putting an arm around me. 'I'm surprised you didn't start your career again. What was it again? Dancing?', he asks sarcastic.

'Leave me, Tristan'. 'Hey Maddy I didn't mean that. I'm sorry', he says when I enter our classroom. 'I know you didn't mean it. You've been making that joke for two years now', I say and take a seat.

Next to me another boy sits down, staring in front of him as if he's scared. 'That is my place buddy', Tristan says, bending over the boy. 'I.... I was....'

'You were nothing. Now stand up', he hisses. 'Tristan', I mumble in disbelief. The whole class follows our scene. The boy stands up, holding his books when Tristan pushes him against another table. The books falling out of his hands.

I hold a hand before my mouth, not knowing what to say when everyone laughs at him. 'Now Brad, tell me you are never going to take my seat again', Tristan threatens him. 'I... Uhm'

'Excuse me?'

'Never', Brad assures him, his face completely red and he stands up ashamed. Our gazes meeting for one second. 'What a loser', Louise and Madeline laugh when they sit behind me, followed by Paris Geller.

'So this year you are the special girl of Tristan?', she notices with only one look. 'No, Paris I....'

'Whatever Maddy', she mumbles and then class starts. Brad sitting in front, his eyes a little glassy as if he is about to cry. I need to talk with him.