Chapter 55: Graduation

'Make sure you are back in time! Graduation starts in half an hour.' Mr Medina walks away from us, hoping that we would all stay around.

Graduation ... I never thought this day would come. Today my life at Chilton would come to an end, another chapter closed. I can write a new future and hopefully that would be one with Jess by my side.

'I'm going to rehearse my speech,' I tell Rory and Paris and leave them behind to find a more quiet place. My nerves are horrible, not because of the speech but because of the people who would be here.

My father wouldn't come, I'm sure of that. Luke promised to be here and so would Kirk. Lorelai would also be present since Rory is also graduating. This is the end.

All those years I dreamed of a bright future, of a place where no one would recognize me. I still sometimes think I made a mistake by giving up this quickly, but another part of me is glad about my decision.

If I hadn't met Jess that night, I wouldn't be here in Stars Hollow. Everything is connected to each other in so many difficult ways. I start to believe in destiny. I am where I am supposed to be. I'm sure I'll make the right decision when it comes to University. I first have to talk with someone.

Behind the corner I lean against the wall, trying to call Jess but he doesn't answer. We promised each other not to give up this time, but so far, we only have talked two times since the day he left. Very short.

I couldn't ignore the feeling of anxiety, being afraid he will never talk to me again for some mysterious reason. He promised to love me, to stand by my side. What if I am only naive? He isn't even here at my graduation.

But he did came to Paris ... a whisper in my head tries to convince me. Not fair.

'Are you alright?' Brad walks around the corner, the gaze in his eyes suspicious. 'I'm fine,' I lie to him, covering up my fear. He sees right through me and spreads his arms to hug me. I give in, I couldn't care less. His hugs always have something comfortable.

'You've been through so much, still you are standing here,' he whispers. I lay my head against his shoulder. Our breathing becoming even. What would I do without him?

'I'm afraid,' I admit, and feel his arms tightening around me. 'You are the most brave person I've ever met, not to mention how kind you are. Whatever you afraid of I'm sure you can handle it.'

Afraid of choosing a wrong university ...

Afraid of losing Jess again ...

Afraid of never being good enough ...

I couldn't handle it.

'You'll always have a friend in me,' he finally says and we release each other. Smiling bright. 'I know,' I whisper and together we follow the sound of Mr Medina's voice, calling for our presence. Time to graduate.

(time skip)

'Family and friends, welcome to the graduation of the class of 2003!' The principal starts his annual speech, all the seats in front of the stage taken. We take place in front of the guests and for one brief second I see Luke when he waves at me. I wave back, glad he came.

He looks weird in a smoking, I have to admit.

'Before we celebrate the ending of this incredible year, I want to invite some of our top students to talk to you about their lives. Please welcome Rory Gilmore!' Rory stands up next to me and walks over to the stage, clearly nervous about all of this. She would do great.

Apart from Jess, I couldn't think of anyone else to write an amazing speech, and she did.

'... My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn't do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don't know if she ever realized that the only person I most wanted to be was her.' She was crying, Lorelai was crying and so was I.

When it comes to mother-daughter relations, you can't get a better example than Rory and Lorelai. They understand each other.

'And finally we would love to invite our inspiring student, Madelaine Scott!' The moment Rory sits down I stand up, hesitating to walk to the front. After one soft push of Rory and a brief smile I step forward, no one talking, not even whispering. All eyes on me.

I sigh deep before starting my speech, seeing Luke and Kirk in the distance trying to encourage me. This is my moment.

'I could tell you a lot about my life, the mistakes I have made, the decisions that made me grow. But I'm sure that over the years you all had the opportunity to read about my life in newspapers and magazines. Something that has changed my life forever.'

I feel a lump in my throat but swallow it away quickly, taking a short break.

'I can tell you stories about the most beautiful places in the world, the most talented people I have met, not only while I was travelling but also right here in Hartford and Stars Hollow. Some people have changed my life in ways I never could've done by myself. They have encouraged me to become better, to be myself.'

'I can tell you all about those fairy tales, but part of me simply wants to tell the truth for once in my life.'

'Life has been playing a game with me for a while now, actually for as long as I can remember.' I can hear some people laugh shortly.

'I still don't know the rules though, but I believe we aren't supposed to figure them out. Life is full of surprises, some more fun than others. We should be glad about the opportunities we get and take them with both hands.'

I look up at the crowd for one moment, feeling powerful enough to speak without reading my lines. The moment I open my mouth again I see someone changing his position on the side of the crowd, leaning against the wall with an interested gaze.

Jess smiles at me the moment our eyes meet and I can't but smile back, barely being able to believe he actually came.

'Four years ago I met someone only by staring out of my window, and even though we had our ups and downs, I could never imagine a world without him. He is the reason I am standing here today, he is the reason I met a father figure that supports me in whatever I do.'

I glare from Jess to Luke, both of them fighting tears. So am I.

'Thank you for being a part of me, I love you both.' I end my speech, followed by a round of applause. Seems that telling the truth does relieve.

I can graduate.