Chapter 13: Once We Meet Again

I quickly find out that Brad is only a shy boy that had been bullied a lot. Actually we are very similar to each other in certain ways. The biggest difference is that he has a loving family, and I haven't seen my parents in three years.

We spend more time together the last days. Studying, lunch and studying again. While Tristan keeps more distance from me with every day. He has found two new best friends that bring him in trouble all the time.

It kind of looks like the situation with Jess, only I have been able to help him, at least for a while. Tristan doesn't listen to me and I can't blame him. I wouldn't take advise from me either.

I think back of the phone call from Liz, Luke's sister. She wanted to talk to him about Jess but so far I haven't heard anything about it. I only saw that Luke was tired and more annoyed than usual. I can only hope that Jess hasn't been in trouble back in New York.

After he stopped answering my letters I never searched for contact again. Neither did he and we should just leave it that way. He has helped me to build a new path in my life and unfortunately that is all he will ever do.

'Can I have more coffee please?' Kirk holds his cup in front of me, staring at me doubting. 'Of course', I answer when I realise I'm at work.

'Madelaine another order to serve!' Ceasar yells from the kitchen. I understand Luke needs some extra help, but Ceasar is hopeless. He never stops mocking me about the fact I used to be on television when I was younger.

According to him I looked stubborn and he is glad to see that I do have some brain. After giving everyone their orders I lean on the counter, remembering I still have work for Mr. Medina's class and I have to prepare for a debate with Paris which I will lose without any doubt.

'Have you read Romeo and Juliet already?' Kirk asks after a while. Most of the customers are leaving, it is only the two of us and the town troubadour.

'I have started it', I answer quickly when Luke's car stops in front of the diner. I take the dishes from abandoned tables, ignoring the stress that is raising up when the door opens and the bell rings.

'You are listening, right now!' I hear Luke raise his voice. Confused I turn to him, putting the dishes down.

'What?...' I mumble and then see him... standing with his luggage in the middle of the diner. His black hair still messy, those eyes without light in them. It's exactly like the first time I had met him on the stairs.

'Jess..' I sigh, not able to move. He looks at me for a moment before turning back to Luke, clearly annoyed. 'Appartement is upstairs?' Jess asks hoarse, pointing towards the staircase. Without waiting for an answer he almost runs upstairs, clearly avoiding me when I walk behind him in disbelief.

'Jess' I say louder but above me a door closes harsh. I turn back to Luke, angry this time. He knew the story of me and his nephew. He has seen my hard being broken when he didn't answer anymore. He has helped me through all of that and now brings him to Stars Hollow?

'How could you not tell me?' I ask with tears in my eyes. 'Madelaine, I...'

'I am done for today', I decide, taking my apron of. Jess is here in Stars Hollow. The first time I see him in three years and he walks past me like we never have met before.

I feel sick.