Chapter 38: He Is Back

'Tell me how you got that black-eye!' Luke demands a few days later. I give Kirk some extra coffee and look up at Jess who denies all the facts. 'Did you get into another fight again? Tell me, Jess.'

'I didn't fight,' he says louder than before and walks over to the door, giving me one last thankful gaze. At least our situation seems to improve, but Luke has noticed it also.

'Where are you going?' Luke yells when Jess opens the door. 'School!'

'It is only seven o'clock!' Luke tries again but Jess is already gone. I bring some empty plates to the counter, ignoring the questionable gaze from Luke. 'What happened with him?' He asks as if I should know the answer. I turn to him confused, seeing how concerned he actually is.

'He won't tell me. But I am convinced he hasn't fought, if that is what you are wondering,' I answer a little harsh and start cleaning the dishes.

'What is going on with you? The last few weeks you've been acting different, I thought you had good results on your exams?'

'I have. I also send out my register forms for a few universities.'

'Than what is wrong?' Luke asks more concerned and takes the dishes from me, forcing to talk with him. 'Well, if you are still worried about me being alone in that huge house, don't be. My father is back,' I mumble and take the dishes again.

'He is back? What about your mother?'

'My mother is in Paris and apparently she is sick, they can't cure her,' I say quickly to ease the pain that has been laying on my chest. Luke opens his mouth to say something but closes it again, dragging me into storage room.

The last thing I see after turning around is Rory and Lorelai, both their faces concerned. I hadn't even noticed them. Luke closes the door behind him, turning to me while thinking what to tell.

'This might be the stupidest question right now, but are you okay?' He asks a little tense. I almost start laughing, this situation is helpless. 'I'm fine, honestly', I assure him but he doesn't agree.

'Madelaine, if your mother is in Paris you have to visit her. This might be the last time you can see her, besides you graduate in less than a month, remember?' His blue eyes are wide open, forcing me to understand what means.

'I know you don't have the greatest relationship with your parents, but you have to know I am here for you and I always will be'. If I didn't know better I would say he is about to cry but forces his tears to stay inside. 'Thank you,' I whisper and take the doorknob but he holds it closed.

'Does Jess know?' He asks curious and I nod. 'What did he say?'

'He has been supportive,' I assure Luke, knowing it would please him and walk outside again.

(time skip)

Our bus was late, which means that Rory and I are too late at school. Together we walk through the abandoned hallways, not talking at all. I can feel the tension though.

'Madelaine? I -'

'Don't say anything, please'. I beg her but she can't and holds me back before I can open the door to our classroom. 'I'm sorry about your mother. If there is anything me or my mother can do to help ...' She stops talking when I sigh, not sure what to say.

'Thank you, Rory. But please, not now,' I say and knock on the door.

Once we are allowed to go in and explain the whole situation about our bus we both take a seat in the front. I'm not listening at all, the teacher is telling something about signing up to write a speech at the end of the school year. I isn't very interested.

Everyone can see I'm not my usual self, even Louis and Paris ask if I'm fine in between the talking of the teacher. I didn't much react.

The bell rings after half an hour, but once we want to stand up she gestures we shouldn't, wanting to announce another thing. I sigh a little annoyed when she stands up from behind her desk, gesturing to someone in the back of the class.

'Also I want to welcome back Brad who has been spending a few months on Broadway'. The whole class claps politely the moment I actually realise what she has said. I turn around to see Brad looking at me, a smile on his face once I smile at him. He is back.

(time skip)

'You are back! Tell me everything!' I demand and hug him once we are outside our classroom. Paris walks annoyed past us, followed by Rory, Louis and Madeline. They didn't much care about his success, but I did.

'Everything was amazing, I can't wait to tell you all about it but ... well, first I think we have to talk,' he says unsure and we walk over to our lockers. I can see how uncomfortable he is.

'What is going to happen with the situation about your mom?' He asks after doubting a moment. I look around if anyone can hear us, lifting my shoulders unsure.

'Luke told me I should visit her in Paris. I'm not sure though'. 'But this might be-'

'The last time I see her, I know. I mean, she is still my mother.' Until today I have never been able to tell people how I honestly feel about the situation. Yes, she is my mother, although she has never acted like one my whole life.

I am mad at her for not treating me like her own daughter but rather an object who should live her dreams. Still she is my mother. I hug Brad another time, assuring him I am fine. Barely being able to tell him how glad I am he is back.

'Tell me every detail about Broadway,' I say when another bell rings. Only seeing the pride in his eyes when he tells about his memories makes me wonder how I would think of a life on Broadway right now.

What if I have waisted my chances?