Chapter 26: The Dance Marathon

Two days later the annual dance marathon of Stars Hollow takes place. Luke stood in front of my door the morning after my fight with Jess, asking me if I was feeling good.

When I assured him I was, he asked me if I could help him during the marathon to give people coffee and food. The marathon starts at six o'clock in the morning and although I can use my night sleep, I know I owe him something, so I agreed.

That brings us to the morning I walk over to the gym of our local high school, my hands stacked with boxes. Outside it is still dark, and everyone seems horribly tired. I am wondering how they will dance for 24 hours like that.

It seems that Kirk has found himself a dance partner after all. A short Chinese woman who seems as desperate for the trophy as Kirk himself.

'Great! Did you also bring the sugar and milk?' Luke asks when I walk towards the coffee stand. I nod to confirm that and put the boxes on one of the seats of the tribune.

To me it is not as fun to see the dancers of our town, but I have to admit it is nothing like the time I used to spend at dance competitions. The people here do it for amusement, although Kirk and Lorelai seem to take it pretty serious.

'If you want to, you can go home in an hour or so, the dancers can't drink the whole time', Luke says when he sees my gaze going through the gym. 'I'll be fine', I assure him and start to prepare the coffee.

The dance marathon was almost about to start and Lorelai has been praying for some good coffee at our stand. Rory and I don't say much, but I can see she is looking for someone, even though her boyfriend is sitting on the tribune, as supportive as usual.

Once the marathon starts I sit at Luke's side for what seems hours, and it actually was. Only my nerves are horrible. Today I would find out my grades of my exams, but the mailman Chilton has hired would bring them in the evening, so the only thing I can do is wait here.

Kirk is completely going for it as each year, and I wonder how I would look dancing with him instead of that other woman. At some point I almost fell asleep by watching them.

There isn't much else to do, the whole town seems to be here and going home would mean arrive in an empty house. I take the book Brad had given me and walk over to the tribune, taking a seat on one of the empty places. I can't but fall asleep after hours of being here.

(time skip)

Someone wakes me hours later and all I can see is Jess' black jacket. I sit up immediately, looking at him confused when he takes place next to me but doesn't talk. His gaze goes to Rory and without her even realising it, she is also staring a lot at him.

I roll my eyes and stand up to walk over to Luke who sits alone at the stand when Jess follows me downstairs.

'You want some coffee?' Luke asks. 'Yes please', I mumble and he gives me some. The marathon would still take a few hours, it is morning again.

'My grades', I mumble in disbelief, barely touching the coffee cup with my lips. Luke stares at me for a moment when Jess starts laughing. 'What about them?'

'They must have brought my results hours ago', I explain and stand up in a rush. 'Madelaine you aren't seriously going to get them now, are you?' Luke asks pointing at the clock. They only have one hour left.

'I have too', I mumble in confusion. 'At least if you go outside wear a jacket', Jess interrupts our conversation and throws his leather jacket towards me. I catch it, feeling the familiar leather in my hands. I used to wear this a lot.

I look up at him confused and his smile disappears in a second when I throw it back to him. I'm not going to do this to myself. He can't treat me like dirt one day, only to give me his jacket the other. I turn around and walk away when his voice stops me abruptly.

'Probably your parents would have texted you if your grades were bad', Jess notices loud. I give him a filthy look, he knows they aren't in Stars Hollow. Then his smile turns sly again and he holds up one finger.

'Right, they haven't been in Stars Hollow for years', he says and Luke's gaze turns to me in only one second.

'What is he talking about?' He raises his voice. Jess stands up, walking away with one last look when all I can think about is how to tackle him. He didn't have the right to tell Luke this.

'You are living alone in that house!' Luke shouts through the hall, waking Taylor and Miss Patty. I hold up my hands, trying to say something but I can't. It is morning and I am tired.

'I have a maid and a driver, I'm fine', I assure him. He stands up and drags me out of the hallway when some people look at us. 'This is illegal, do you realise that? You tell me you live alone since you were fourteen?'

'I never lived alone, Luke. Please I have to go -'

'We are talking about this tomorrow when we had some sleep. This is irresponsible', he mumbles. 'That isn't my fault!' I defend myself.

'Of course it isn't! But you could've asked me for help', he remarks. 'I would've helped you!' After that he turns around and I walk outside. He is right, he would've helped me and I am only stupid enough not to tell him the truth.

Who else but Luke Danes can I actually trust? Jess is horrible for telling him my secret like this.