Chapter 51: Luke Danes

'Madelaine Scott, returning dancer of the Paris ballet school.' I walk in Luke's diner when I hear Kirk's voice, reading the headline of the Stars Hollow Gazette. Silly world.

The familiar bell rings and a few people look at me in wonder, a bright smile on my face. It is good to be home again. Especially after a long flight.

'You don't have to gossip about me,' I say loud and both Kirk and Luke turn around to see me. Relief all over them.

'You are back,' Luke sighs and walks over to me to give me a tight hug. This is family. 'I am,' I confirm and take place behind the counter next to Kirk, who still hasn't said a word.

'I'm sorry about your mother,' Luke says a little softer and hands me a cup of coffee, trying to figure out if I'm doing fine. It has almost been two weeks.

'Please, don't worry. I'm fine, honestly. Just give me time,' I assure both of them, seeing how tense Kirk is. 'But if I can help you -' Luke insists.

'Then I'll call you,' I assure him and take a sip of my coffee. The bell from the diner rings again the moment Luke wants to start a conversation, a little boy running towards us.

'You are Madelaine Scott!' He yells and holds up an article of an old newspaper. He must have known I came back.

'Can you please give me an autograph?' The twinkle in his blue eyes is adorable and without thinking for another second I kneel down until our eyes meet, taking a pen from Kirk.

'You don't have too -' His mother tells but I shake my head, telling her I love to. This is a new part of my life, and I have to deal with it. 'Thank you!' The boy says after a short hug and runs behind his mother outside, looking over his shoulder a few times.

I stare at him for a moment, recognizing a little spark I used to have. I used to be this happy one time.

'Tell me about Paris,' Luke insists after a moment and I take my place back, signing deep. Where should I start?

'Well, I visited my mother a few times and uhm ... the day of my performance I got a call from my father -' My throat feels a little hoarse and I swallow one time, trying to figure out my words.

'After she died I ran into Jess,' I say a little unsure. Luke's eyes widen for a moment, almost invisible but still, I see it. The little change in his attitude tells me everything.

'He is fine,' I assure him. Answering a question he hasn't dared to ask me. 'He was failing school,' he explains confused. 'He was trying to change,' I complete him and he nods a little.

It isn't a secret Jess has brought a lot of damage to Stars Hollow. Not even to mention the damage to Rory's heart, or mine. The important thing is that he is trying to change.

I stay in the diner until closing time, desperate to have a conversation with Luke about all the choices I am about to make. After all he has been the only father figure in my life. Luke closes the door and locks it before walking to our small table, the diner a little dark.

'You were talking about school?' He says after taking a seat and I agree on that, trying to find the right words. When I don't say anything he leans a little forward, showing his concern.

'What is bothering you?' He whispers. 'My whole life has been about making my parents proud of me and that never happened,' I start and look out of the window, the sky dark.

'Now I'm excepted to three great schools and I don't even feel proud of myself.' I stop talking after that, feeling numb. 'Have you ever considered taking a break?' Luke asks curious and I smile at that thought.

'That's exactly what Jess told me.' We both stare at each other for a while, the diner filled with silence. It isn't even uncomfortable, it is nice.

'I believe if I'm not going to Harvard or Juilliard my father will never approve of me,' I admit. 'But what do you want?' I think of that for a few seconds, my mind completely blank. I have a lot to figure out.

'I want to be careless for one moment. To be free with someone who I love.' He smiles a little vague, crossing his arms when he leans back in his seat. Amused all of a sudden.

'Jess?' He guesses and I nod. Not at all caring. 'He is changing,' I assure him but it doesn't seem like he needs that information, he knows. 'Madelaine, you are only seventeen. You should follow your heart at some times. You still have your whole life to figure everything out,' he whispers.

He is right. I still have my whole life to figure out who I am or who I want to be. What would I do without Luke Danes?

Falling - 𝒥𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝒾𝒶𝓃𝑜On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara