Chapter 44: A Legend

I try to call Jess in the evening but with no success. He doesn't answer. I could only cry that night and not over a stupid boy this time.

My mother has been so weak, barely a shadow of the woman I remember her being. All of that is gone and even I can tell the chemo has broken her. She's in pain. I can see it in her eyes every time she talks.

The following days my routine is practically the same over and over again: waking up and going for a run, getting breakfast and visit my mother. Not even to mention the studying I have to do in order to graduate. Even in Paris, Chilton can't get of my back.

One morning I get a text from Jess, again telling me I have to call him when I walk past my old dance school to get some breakfast in a diner. I put my phone away and hold still in front of the huge window, watching my old dance teacher clean the mirrors against the wall.

Ms Delise has been in my life since day one, being one of my mother's best friends and my first teacher. She has always been too proud to marry a man, and decided to get her luck out of life, not out of a person.

I hesitate in front of the window, walking back and forward for a moment until she turns around and gets a look of her former dancer. She drops everything and walks over to the door, her mouth wide open.

'Ms Delise,' I greet her and get a tight hug immediately. Not even an answer. 'Mon dieu! Madelaine Scott,' she whispers and takes a look of me.

'Come in, come in, dear,' she says after a moment and drags me in the room. The familiar scent welcoming me. How can a smell bring back so many memories?

'Tell me how are you, dear. How is your mother?' she asks concerned when we walk in the room. 'My mother tries not to give up,' I explain. 'And don't worry about me, I'm a tough one,' I remind her and she nods in agreement.

'You were always the strongest, what a waste of talent,' she notices. The smile disappears from my face quickly, looking at the ground in a second.

'I'm sorry Madelaine, I didn't mean ... I just believed you would conquer the dance world that is all.' Every word sounds apologetic and I vaguely smile back at her, knowing she doesn't mean any harm.

'I'm honestly fine,' I finally say. We talk for what seems an hour, ignoring every person who walks in the room, knowing a class would start soon.

'Ms Delise? Je me demandais si ... Madelaine?' A girl asks unsure. I look over my shoulder, seeing Joanna behind me, all grown up. My first ever friend.

'Mon dieu! You changed, I mean you are gorgeous but ... I can't find my words!' Her voice has changed, her attitude has changed. Everything keeps changing.

'I'm glad to see you again,' I sigh and we hug for a moment, afraid to release. 'Are you coming back?' she asks with her eyes wide open, full of hope. I shake my head softly, laughing about that idea.

'No, I'm here for my mother,' I explain and the bright smile disappears again. 'I can't believe I forgot that. I'm so sorry about your mother,' she keeps on rattling. 'No worries. Honestly,' I assure her.

'Well, I should start my class. Today the photographers will be here to take new pictures for our website,' Ms Delise announces and all the dancer gather around.

'I should go,' I say but she holds my arm quickly, her eyes begging me to stay. 'I'm sure that a few of you still remember Madelaine Scott from when you were younger,' she announces me and some of them nod but I can't recognize any face.

'Madelaine, please stay here until we make the picture of all our dancers together. I would appreciate it if you would be a part of that,' she focuses back on me. 'But I'm not a part ...'

'Of course you are. Once a dancer, always a dancer!' I stare at her a little nervous, not knowing what to tell her until Joanna grabs my other arm. 'She is not letting you walk out of here without that photo,' she remarks and everyone laughs softly.

'Fine,' I give in, seeing how important this is too her.

I quickly text my father, telling him Ms Delise has locked me up in her dance school which he completely understands. I would visit mom later.

Can I call you tonight? – Jess. Another text.

Sure! Sorry I didn't respond, been busy - Madelaine

My phone beeps again, his name on the screen as usual.

How is your mother? - Jess

'Madelaine!' I put my phone away in a second, standing up from the ground to walk over to the group, taking place on their right side for the famous picture. 'Don't be an idiot,' Joanna says and pulls me into the crowd to stand with her in the middle.

'We are not putting Madelaine Scott on the side,' she whispers delighted and we all smile for the camera.

'Do people still remember me?' I ask confused when I follow Joanna outside after the class.

'Are you kidding? You are a legend in France and I'm sure other parts of the world. Now, catch me up on your life,' she says and grabs my arm around hers, walking into the streets of our well-loved city.