Chapter 42: Our Second Goodbye

Jess' POV

The next day, Madelaine goes to the airport with her father after saying goodbye to Luke. Never have I seen her this confused, this in pain.

We looked at each other one more time before she left the diner. All I wanted to do was run after her, hold her here in Stars Hollow. That would only be selfish. Her mother is dying, and she has to visit her.

Madelaine constantly assured me she didn't have much of a choice, clearly feeling guilty by leaving the first time. That hadn't been her fault, I had been living in a lie.

Everything seems more annoying now that she has left, the customers, Caesar, even the people outside the diner. I can't understand what I am feeling. Rory comes by around noon, asking Luke for at least ten donuts.

We didn't talk, we didn't even look at each other. In some way, being separated from Rory is a relief, knowing I won't be compared to Dean anymore.

'Madelaine left this morning but I'm sure you can text her.' I hear Luke tell Rory. I glance over at her and she nods softly, thanking Luke for the donuts and leaves the diner to jump in her mother's car. Luke catches my gaze and I quickly go back to serving the customers.

We haven't talked about what has happened on the party, but I'm sure he knows by now. Kyle's parents have called him, told him I was part of a fight and damaged their house. Luke hadn't cared to scream at me in front of all his customers, and the worst part, they seemed to enjoy it.

I'm not quite loved in this town, but I thought things got better. That is until the moment Luke drags me upstairs once he comes back in the evening, leaving the diner without a server.

'What are you doing?' I ask irritated when he opens the door and basically throws me into the apartment.

'What am I doing? Jess, have you even seen the damage you brought to that house? I've been there this whole afternoon, getting filthy looks for all that you did!' Luke's head almost turns red and I sigh, taking a seat at the dining table.

'Dean was part of it also,' I remind him but he doesn't seem to care. 'Well, Dean at least showed up with his parents and even made an arrangement to pay them back!' Luke walks up and down the room, his hands behind his neck. Apparently I'm a much bigger disaster than I thought.

'You are going to pay them back with everything you earn by working here. Do you understand me?' He says after a while. I stand up in a rush, holding my hands up.

'It isn't my fault that Dean wanted to punch me in the face! How can't you even see that?' I yell at him which only makes him more angry.

'Jess, you are going to pay them back and so will Dean! You are both responsible and that is the end of this discussion!' I shake my head in anger, walking towards the door and smash it behind me when I go downstairs. This is unbelievable.

Even my own uncle stands up for Dean instead of me. I lean against the counter, trying to ease my mind when I see one customer sitting at a table of four. Not giving anyone a chance to sit with him. I walk over to him and hand him the menu, but he barely looks up at me.

'Maybe you should choose a table with less seats?' I say sarcastic but he doesn't respond. I walk away and meet Luke again, all of a sudden wearing a suit. I want to laugh but decide not to. Even he has his boundaries.

'Tonight, I'm going to dinner with Nicole. That means you have to take care of the diner,' he mumbles while he straightens his tie. 'Of course, Uncle Luke,' I mock him and walk over to the storage room.

When I come back half an hour later, the customer still hasn't chosen something from the menu, only stares around in the diner. Our eyes meet for a second and I take the coffee pot before walking over to him.

'If you are not going to eat than you might want to leave we have other customers,' I remind him and turn around to give Kirk some coffee. The man leaves the diner in only a few seconds but Luke runs behind him, yelling but he doesn't turn around.

'What?' I ask confused when Luke comes back inside. 'He uh, forgot his wallet,' he says confused, staring at the customers ID. After laying it behind the counter, he quickly goes upstairs, not looking me in the eyes.

Even after Luke has left the diner, the customers keep coming and I hate them for it. I haven't even found the time to look at my phone, hoping that Madelaine has texted something. But she hasn't and it makes me only more annoyed.

'Kirk, we are closing,' I remind him and he finally stands up, walking into the darkness of the night. I close the door behind me, glad that all of this is over when I hear the bell ring again.

'We are closed,' I mumble while cleaning the counter but no one responds. I turn around and roll my eyes when I see the customer of earlier this day. 'You are looking for your wallet?' I guess but he shakes his head.

'I- um, no ... I mean, yes. Uh-' he keeps on stuttering while staring at me and I roll my eyes to take his wallet from behind the counter.

'Wait! I um ...' he sighs, holding up his arms desperate. I can almost recognize him from somewhere. I look at him with my eyes wide open, curious if he is about to say something else.

'I'm your father ... Jess,' he whispers. I lay my towel down on the counter, suspicion all over me when I take his wallet.

'Jimmy Mariano,' I read out loud from his driver's license, not believing my own words. I look back up at him and he nods softly, almost guilty.

I haven't seen him in years.