Chapter 30: The Almost Kiss

Since I spent Christmas at Brad's home, I decided to invite both him and his mother to the New Year festival in Stars Hollow.

Unfortunately, his mother couldn't join due to another invitation from one of her colleagues. On the other hand, I am glad Brad does want to join me. Over the past months he has become a great friend and I like spending time with him. It is too bad that we only became friends after three years of going to the same school.

'You have to tell me, either your mother has a great taste in books or you helped her finding a Christmas present for me', I raise one eyebrow at him when we walk to the town square.

'I may have helped her a little', he admits and we both laugh about it. Since Rory and Jess have become a couple, I have more time to think and definitely a reason to keep my distance from him. Turns out, it isn't that bad as I have imagined, only seeing them together can be harsh.

'Madelaine!' Dean's little sister, Clara, runs towards me. Almost jumping in my arms. Dean and I seem to have more in common than we thought, which is why he has asked me to join his family for a few dinners.

Another fun fact: turns out Clara has been a huge fan of me when I used to dance. Great for me. 'Are you joining us during the firework show?' She asks hopeful when Dean joins us also.

'You don't have too', he adds, making Clara disappointed immediately. I look at Brad for a moment, his eyes telling me he is fine with that and all of a sudden it is the four of us.

'I'm Dean', Dean gestures his hand to Brad who shakes it willingly. 'Brad', he answers. Something has changed about Dean, even though he will never admit it, it is obvious. He doesn't have that spark in his eyes anymore since he has broken up with Rory.

They have been together for two years, I'm not even sure why I am complaining about those few months with Jess.

The firework show is incredible, it seems that Taylor finally has decided to give us more than one minute of firework. Everyone screams 'Happy New Year' once the clock turns twelve and I hug Brad tightly.

We stand like that for a while, Brad holding his arm around me, Dean holding his little sister in his arms until the lights of the firework disappear and the whole town is dark in only one second.

'Isn't that Rory?' Clara asks when Dean places her back on the ground and we all follow her gaze. Brad's arm releases me when he sees Rory and Jess leaning against the wall, their faces attached to each other.

'I guess', Dean says softer and I can see the pain in his eyes. 'We can do something fun. Celebrate the new year?' I suggest and lay a hand on his arm, knowing how he must feel.

'Clara has to sleep. Maybe another time', he answers unsure. The jumping of Clara stops quickly when she looks mad at her brother, not able to understand the pain he is in. 'Right', I sigh when they both leave us after another goodbye.

'Tell Rory I miss her!' Clara yells in my direction. I stare at her for a moment, understanding how naïve children can be.

'We can still hang out', Brad remarks and I smile up at him. Glad he understands me. We walk past Luke's diner on our way to my house, trying to ignore the kissing sounds of Rory and Jess. Turns out this time it is Jess who starts the conversation once he notices us.

'Maddy, who is this monkey?', he jokes, looking at Brad. Rory's cheeks turn red when she sees her classmate. I can't believe he actually said that.

'Excuse me?' I mumble. 'I was only joking', he assures me, but even that sounds sarcastic. Almost jealous.

'Jess...' Rory whispers, taking his hand but he releases it immediately. 'You found a new boyfriend', he turns to me, and Brad who still hasn't dared to speak up can almost sink in the ground of shame.

'Mind your own business, Jess. Besides, you have no right to make that assumption', I remind him and look briefly at Rory.

'Yeah right', he mumbles under his breath and I take Brad by his arm to drag him along. With one last pissed look I walk past Jess who seems more irritated than I can remember and I walk home, Brad at my side.

The rain has taken advantage of us and once we enter the main hall, we are literally soaked. I haven't dared to speak up again, and neither has Brad. Not until the moment we walk in the kitchen.

'That was Jess', he notices when I take a soda out of the fridge. 'I'm sorry', I whisper when I see how hurt he actually is. Brad gets bullied a lot, and Jess making that comment is the cherry on the cake.

'No worries', he says. I walk over to him, holding my arms around his neck when I decide to hug him. Brad deserves so much in his life, he has always been there for me. He holds his arms around my waist, the silence filling the room again but I don't care.

'You still love him?' He asks unsure. I look up at him, still holding my arms tight when I find his eyes. 'I'm not sure', I whisper honest. He nods understanding, and for one brief moment I think he will kiss me.

But then I remember he is Brad, he would never dare to do that. I release my arms softly and so does he, our moment over in one second.