Chapter 14: The Unsolved Story

Jess has been in Stars Hollow for three days today. Yet, he has been avoiding me all the time. I can't understand what has changed in those three years. He is the one that stopped writing me. I should be mad at him.

I knew I couldn't be mad at him, that was a thing he did to me. Only seeing him in the distance gave me butterflies. Wanting to feel the same as I used to feel around him. But I can't.

I have promised my parents to finish school, go to university and live a long rich life. It doesn't matter to them what I want.

Every day after school when I work at Luke's, I know he is only a few meters away from me. Probably reading or smoking in Luke's tiny apartment. He doesn't want to talk to me.

Meanwhile our English teacher thinks it will be fun to give us an assignment about acting. We have to play Romeo and Juliet in different groups and I am not looking forward to it.

'Are you both finally here?' Paris says annoyed when Rory and I walk in the dining hall, ready to discuss our roles. I take a seat next to Brad, him barely looking up when I smile at him. He is horrified by Paris.

'We are going to do this quickly, Madeline and Louis you both are in the background. Rory plays a tree, Madelaine is Juliet and Brad is Romeo.' Everyone looks confused at Paris not knowing what to say.

'Can't I be the tree?' I ask when no one speaks up. 'And why is Brad Romeo?' Louis asks annoyed.

'Do you see another boy around us?' Paris asks harsh, gesturing at all of us. 'I thought so and fine, Rory will be Juliet and Madelaine is the tree'.

'I don't want to be Juliet, why aren't you her?' Rory asks confused. 'Because I am the director. I want everyone to study their parts, are we clear?' Paris asks.

'Well, well here is my group'. Tristan joins us the moment Paris wants to leave, making her even more annoyed. 'Look, I can't join the other groups they are full with girls I've dated', he complains.

'Fine, Tristan will be Romeo'. Paris mumbles before walking away. Brad being able to breathe again. 'Now we both can be trees', I say when everyone leaves the table.

'She scares me', he whispers when we stand up. 'I know Brad. I know'.

(time skip)

'Madelaine!' Paris yells when I run past the room of our school paper. Annoyed I turn around, seeing Rory stand behind her with loads of paper in her arms.

'We want to interview you for the school paper. You know, dancing on Broadway and that kind of stuff', she drags me into the classroom, giving me no chance to escape.

'You have done this every year since I'm in this school, Paris. No one cares', I complain. And neither do I. 'Of course everyone cares. Especially when we find some unresolved mysteries about you'. The pride shines on her face when she hands me an old article.

'Madelaine Scott dancing in New York streets with unknown boy'. She reads the title out loud. I stare at the paper for a while not knowing what to tell her. 'Just give us his name, please Madelaine', she begs when I stand up.

'No I am done with this', I answer short. Tears appearing in my eyes thinking back of that night. It had been my last one with Jess and I had got myself in a whole lot of trouble back then. They had told me love could overcome everything, but everyone had been wrong.

Because here I am alone, the boy I used to dance and sing with, the boy I used to love, ignoring me like I am a stranger. He only hurts me.