Chapter 9: Stars Hollow

It has been three years...

Now I am seventeen and my life has changed in a way I can't possibly understand. My mother had send me to live in a manor with a maid and my own driver. Stars Hollow isn't as bad as I had imagined. In fact, I love living here.

When I first moved here, everyone seemed to enjoy my presence and quickly I had found work at Luke's as a waitress. Jess' uncle isn't always the most pleasant, but once you got to know him you see his softer side.

Over the years Luke Danes has been more of a father to me than my actual father. I spend most of the week in Hartford, going to school at Chilton is nerve-racking but at least I have a few friends there.

Rory Gilmore, who lives in Stars Hollow with me has been one of my first friends in this new life. Lane Kim, Kirk Gleason and Dean Forest became a part of me quickly.

As for my friends in Chilton we have Paris, Louise and Madeline. If you can actually call them friends. There's also Tristan who has changed a bit over the years and not in a good way. And Brad who is too shy for a normal human being.

My life is pretty simple right now. Waking up, eating at Luke's, going to school with Rory, coming back and work at Luke's, finishing homework and sleep. I can be more bored. Still I'm glad I'm not a dancer anymore, although sometimes people still recognize me.

I told Luke the same story about me and his nephew, Jess, as I told you. Only with less details. Luke doesn't have a good relationship with Jess or with Liz, his sister and the mother of Jess. It has been three years since we have seen each other. Three years since we have spoken.

Three years since the last time we kissed. My first kiss. I can still remember how I felt that moment. I thought we were meant to be. It seems that god has other plans.

Jess and I had made an agreement to write each other letters, but that stopped only a few months after I had moved here.

Chilton asked a lot of my attention, especially since I knew I stood alone in this world. My parents pay for school, give me money each month and make sure I have food to eat. But the people who have actually been taking care of me are Luke, Lydia my maid and Gilbert my driver.

I spend a lot of time with grown up people and I don't mind it at all. Thanks to Jess I've started reading again, he basically saved me from a boring life.

I hope he is doing well, that he is happy whatever he is doing. I wish we would still be in touch.

(time skip)

I look up when the bell of Luke's diner rings and Lorelai and Rory Gilmore walk in, talking fast and loud as usual. I have never seen a mother and daughter this close. It is something I only can wish for.

'Coffee?' I ask from behind the counter. 'Do you have to ask?' Lorelai answers sarcastic when I fill two big mugs with coffee.

'Hey, Madelaine have you read that book for Mr Medina' s summer class?', Rory asks after a sip. 'You mean Hamlet? I'm almost finished'.

'Good. I thought maybe we could compare our notes one of these days. Anything for better grades right?' We both laugh a little, realizing what nerds we actually are.

Later that evening I stare in front of me, overthinking the situation with Jess when I take the phone and call his number. Only after a few rings someone picks up, sighing a little before speaking.

'Hello?' I hear his voice for the first time in three years. Not able to answer. 'Hello? Luke is that you?' he says annoyed. I hang up quickly, as if I have lost my voice I stare at the wall.

'Madelaine, customer', Luke notices when he comes back downstairs. I quickly wipe my tears and turn around to see Kirk, the town freak as they call him. I think he is a nice person.

'Do you still serve those sandwiches with the cheese from France?' He asks. I nod a little. 'Of course, Kirk'.

'Could I get one without that special cheese... my stomach is sensitive'. I smile up at him, him not understanding why I'm smiling all of a sudden. 'Whatever you want Kirk'.