Chapter 4

Dabi watched Midoriya stop protesting, deflating, a tired and somewhat hurt look on his face, almost gone unnoticed by Dabi by how Midoriya's brows furrowed in annoyance and anger instead. His eyes looked sad though, something Dabi could see better than anyone else. He had seen them a lot of times before, even if they weren't the same.

Dabi wasn't sure how to react. It didn't look like the pained expression he caught a glimpse of was simply caused by Dabi pinning him threateningly, either way, not directly. It was something much deeper, and yet, Dabi didn't understand why.

Dabi slowly released Midoriya's mouth and Midoriya started to gasp, trying to regain his composure. Dabi waited for him to catch his breath.

"Sorry. Had to do that so you wouldn't scream" He muttered quietly, biting the inside of his cheek. Midoriya looked up and looked at Dabi.

"Why did you drag me away like that?" Midoriya whispered quietly. Dabi felt a little stab of guilt for having to scare someone who seemed to start to trust him.

"You know why." Midoriya frowned, seeming to realize at what Dabi was hinting at, but still snapped at him nonetheless.

"What do you mean? I would've been fine, Kacchan is out cold." He muttered, not really liking how protective Dabi was being of him (as much as he was grateful for the help, but still). Dabi sighed. Midoriya knew exactly what he meant, but he wasn't going to let go of this so easily.

"You know that's not what it was about. I can't keep you out of school tomorrow from Bakugo, but I could at least prevent you from the judgement that was going to come to whomever the other guys were about to call. Not like they wouldn't blame you if I just left you there with them, whether you were the one that knocked Bakugo out or not." Midoriya let out a tired sigh, understanding exactly what Dabi meant and what was to come.

"Yeah...Kacchan's never going to forgive me after this." He said aloud.

They stood there in silence for what seemed like an eternity, before there was a vibration and a ring from Dabi's phone. He took out his phone awkwardly, side glancing at Midoriya who was starting to mumble something.

He clicked on the text without thinking and started to read

???: Hey Dabs! Watcha doing?

Dabi rolled his eyes. It took less than a second for him to figure out who this was.

Toga Himiko was his friend ever since he started living a villainous life. He caught her drinking another teenager girls' blood, and since then, they just stuck together.

He stuffed down a laugh as he remembered how she immediately began examining his brunt scars without worrying what Dabi had jut witnessed. After they became good friends and he asked her about it, she replied with a simple 'I just felt you were a villain, and I knew that you wouldn't let me take your blood if we weren't to be friends', or something like that.

Obviously he never gave her any blood, but the friendship part somehow remained.

Dabi: Why don't I even have to read from whom the message is from for me to know that it's you Toga?

Toga: Took you a while to answer. You should train your fingers more instead of your quirk and other muscles.

Midoriya heard Dabi let out a 'tch' as ​​he stared at his phone with annoyed, yet somehow also happy look. Midoriya then suddenly realized that he was putting aside the whole importance of the situation to text someone else and felt like either smacking Dabi's head against the wall, which seemed like a hard job, or his.