Chapter 35

It was 6:30 p.m. The drizzling had stopped long time ago and the sky was clear now. I got ready for tonight, packing a blanket for us to sit on. On my way, I grabbed some brownies from a bakery. I was headed towards her house when I saw her coming down the street. Her face looked pale as if she had been extremely sick and her eyes had bags under them. She saw me coming towards her and gave a soft smile. I hugged her as soon as I got to her.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi." She said in a low voice.

"What's wrong? You look sick." I asked in concern.

"No, I'm not sick. But don't worry, you won't have to see my face like this from today on wards." She tried to smile.

"That's good. I just want to see you happy and smile." I softly pinched her cheek.

"Let's go." I said and grabbed her hand.

Intertwining my fingers with hers, we walked to the park in utter silence. No one said a word. I could sense something was wrong with her. With every step we took towards the park, my nervousness grew inside. I could feel my heart thumping loudly in my chest. This silence was going to give me anxiety and panic attack.

We got to our usual spot. The ground was soaked up due to the light drizzle. I pulled out the blanket from my backpack and laid it on the ground. Lying down on it, I signalled her to join me and she did, but lay at a distance from me. It was okay I guess, she was shy.

We silently looked up at the stars while none of us spoke. I was feeling nervous so decided to break the silence.

"Hey, where did you go in home time?" I asked while turning my face towards her.

"I was with my friends." She said without looking at me.

"Oh, I was looking for you." I told her.

"Why?" She asked, this time looking towards me.

I realised something, the sparkle in her eyes which I saw in the morning was gone, replaced by a strange sadness.

"Because, the weather looked so beautiful and it reminded me of you. I thought it would be great to walk you home in this weather." I told her.

She laughed so coldly that it gave me chills.

"Are you okay?" I asked feeling nervous.

"Yeah, totally." She replied without looking at me.

"Are you not going to ask why I brought you here?" I asked getting ready to say what I have been trying to for so long.

"No." She said " Because I already know." She looked at me again.

"What?" I sat up straight.

"Yeah." She said sitting up.

"How did you-"

"It's okay, Harry. You don't have to say it because I already know what you are about to say. I won't even tell you to think about it again because I can understand. But I don't want to hear it. I would rather just walk away now then to hear those words." She said.

My heart shattered into a billion tiny pieces. I could not believe my ears or a single word she said. She knew I was going to confess my love for her and she did not want to hear it. I misunderstood her for being shy. She was not shy. She never had such deep feelings for me.

"What are you saying?" I asked totally confused.

"What am I saying?" She smiled at me with glassy eyes.