Chapter 65

"If I have to pose for one more damn photo," Shane started to threaten

"If I have to pose for one more damn photo," Shane started to threaten. His mother scolded him from where she stood with the other parents. Each one in turn called their son's name to get their attention. Coach actually had to break up the shoot and ushered us back onto the bus.

Back at the hotel, every single cheerleader and footballer had piled into the small pool area. I could hear Corey from down the hall each time he poked his head in to remind them to keep the volume down. Blaine was curled up beside me on the loveseat. Her back was nestled into my side. My arm had been stretched across the back of the couch until she tangled her fingers with mine and pulled my hand down.

Now she was fast asleep. The makeshift ice pack had started melting and was leaving a chilly ring of moisture on my tee. I could have moved or taken it off her after she'd drifted off. Honestly, I was too tired to do either.

"Aww," Heather cooed as she came around the corner with Joe trailing behind her. "Aren't you two cute? How come we aren't that cute?"

"Because you can't sit still for more than three minutes." Wrong answer. He stumbled over his words as he tried to back track. Heather growled a low warning before stalking toward the elevators. Dropping his head back, Joe waved to me then followed his girlfriend.

"He's not wrong," Blaine mumbled, surprising the hell out of me.

"Have you been faking the whole time," I asked as her fingers squeezed mine.

"No," she yawned. She snuggled closer. "The shouting from the pool keeps waking me up."

"Your room is probably quiet."

"But you're not there," she mumbled, shaking her head gently.

"Stop being stubborn and go to bed."

"Stop being bossy. Pillows aran't supposed to be bossy."

"I'm not a -" I sighed in defeat, "Fine. On the way back, though, you're going to be my pillow."

"Isn't it strange," she whispered, her lips brushing the inside of my arm.

"What?"

"USC." Her thumb was tracing circles over the top of my hand. "They wanted you pretty badly, right? That means they've been stalking you. You just won State and not a single call."

"They were scouting," I corrected with a chuckle.

"I know what it is." I could sense the eye roll as she grumbled. "I'm just saying, shouldn't they be up your ass right about now? Reminding you of their offer. Michigan could be making you a better offer for all they know."

"What could they offer that USC didn't?"

"A full ride," she taunted. "Starting string as a freshman. Guest passes for your idiot friends."

"Close to home so I could see my mother whenever she wanted." I kissed the top of her head and added softly, "My girlfriend could stay over when we have home games."