Chapter 37

Sitting in the same spot Shane had been in a week ago, Blaine was absorbing the late morning sun

Sitting in the same spot Shane had been in a week ago, Blaine was absorbing the late morning sun. Her dark brown hair was dancing in the breeze. If her eyes hadn't been closed, they would be sparkling. The laughter from Joe and Shane was the only thing that eased the tension between me and her brother. It didn't ease the daggers being shot at my back.

"Who's ready for some burgers," Shane asked. It was accompanied with a cheer from Joe, and a mocking comment from Heather.

"Let's go, Laine," Luke demanded. His sister's glare was lethal as she focused on him. He slowed his pace as he neared her. When she didn't move it became a staring contest.

"I'm going with Finn." The storm flickering in Luke's eyes had me wanting to jump in. After experiencing her ability to fight back for myself, I stayed put. Shane's hand ran through his hair as he approached the warring Lesters.

"We're all going to the same place." He put a hand on Luke's shoulder and gave him a gentle shove. "You can bicker when we get back."

"Straight to Dillon's," Luke growled, throwing a glare at me. There was a brief moment of silent agreement before we all split up to our own cars. I approached mine and leaned against the rear fender as Blaine watched her brother. Making sure he got the Jeep, no doubt. He'd be unable to abduct her if he was securely in the Jeep. Spinning on the smooth metal, she smiled at me.

"So," she asked, as Joe and Heather left first.

"So?"

"As much as I hate to admit it. He's kind of right."

"Right about what exactly." My arms crossed over my chest. Had she been listening to the conversation? She was always the first person to storm into a room during a conversation like the one we were having. The one to break up an argument before it could start.

"We can't jump back into things and pretend like what happened didn't. It's not possible. You said some awful things, Finn. So did I. Picking up where we left off won't erase them."

"I know. Not that it matters, but I don't believe what I said. I was looking to hurt you. That's all it was."

"But you were right. I have my faults that do mirror that woman's, but she didn't teach me shit. Lucas did, with the help of you guys." She forced a smirk that made my heart ache. There was a hint of the strength she always possessed. It was weak though. I'm sure the combination of my accusation and her mother's sudden reappearance had something to do with it. The loss of confidence was going to take a lot to spark back to life.

"I'm willing to do whatever you want, Lainey. Friends. Couple. Anything that we can do to get back to where we want to be."

"What do you want? I mean, where do you think we should be?" The defeat in those hazel eyes chased away the half lit smirk. My hands cupped her face as I stepped between her legs.