Chapter 55

The way my brother was acting when we finally left Zoey's warehouse made me smile

The way my brother was acting when we finally left Zoey's warehouse made me smile. It had been months since I'd seen him like this. Confidence came naturally to him, especially when there was a football involved. He strolled out of the building with a little more pep in his step. Zoey avoided my eyes when I looked to her for answers.

Lucas didn't seem to carry the same concern about our surroundings now that we were leaving. I watched his fingers tapping against the steering wheel as the country station played an oldie. There was a question on the tip of my tongue that I felt didn't need asking. Lucas and Zoey had plenty of time to hang out while I worked on another therapy piece. Maybe Lucas had said, or did, something that made Zoey uncomfortable.

The way they were both behaving had me starting to worry. I enjoyed going out to the warehouse and getting to paint. Since the first time Finn took me there, it had become a safe place. The guys had the field. Heather had the mall. This was mine. If my brother did anything to ruin this for me, I was going to kill him.

"What did you do while I painted," I asked, unable to take the nagging voice in my head any longer.

"Had a beer," he shrugged, "Talked with Zoey. It's been a long time since I'd seen her."

"What did you two talk about?"

"You're full of questions."

"I'm just curious," I mumbled. My arms crossed over my chest as I squirmed in the passenger seat. "She didn't seem like herself when we left."

"I might have convinced her to go on a date with me." The grin curling onto his face doubled with the pride pouring out of him.

"You? Zoey? A date?"

"Aren't you supposed to be the smart one?"

"Did you ask Finn," I mocked.

All the lectures he had given me and Finn about dating without his permission were finally coming back around. All of the obnoxious rules he had put into place. The scowls and warning looks when we were too close. The disapproving groans when I told him we were hanging out. Now, it was my turn to lay into him.

"It just happened, Laine. Was I supposed to call him when the idea popped into my head?"

"Of course not, big baby. I'm just thinking about all the shitty you put us through when we start dating."

"I gave you guys shit because you did it behind my back and kept it a secret for weeks. I don't plan on doing that."

"Then call him."

"Laine," he sighed.

"I mean it. Zoey's like a sister to him. If you don't want him thinking this is just your way of getting back at him, then you have to call him. Right now, Lucas."

"It can wait until tonight."

My crossed arms tightened as I glared at my brother. The way he was brushing it off had me worrying. If I was right, and my brother had other reasons for asking out Zoey, I was going to be first in line to kick his ass. There was plenty going on in our lives that I wasn't sure he'd be able to balance one more thing. Knowing I was one of those things didn't make me feel better.