Chapter 21

"Does anyone else see Laine right now, or is just me?" A chorus of laughter boomed from behind me

"Does anyone else see Laine right now, or is just me?" A chorus of laughter boomed from behind me. One by one, the chorus softened until it was silent. Lucas was staring over his shoulder. Shane looked between all of us and the beauty approaching us. The silence remained even after Blaine reached the truck.

Her hair was straight and pinned back. Those amazing green eyes were outlined again making her look much older. Her soft lips were painted in a deep red. The tight fitted top had fringe that swayed as she walked. The untied converse told me she had heels on early. Even as my eyes scanned her, I couldn't believe she was here.

"Done with your temper tantrum," Joe teased as he wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm in." Joe's arms fell and he mocked stumbling from shock. The red lips parted as a smile curled onto her face. "Shut up."

"I've had a few beers," Shane grinned. "Did she just agree to try out?"

"I think she did," Lucas beamed at his sister. She returned their smiles and looked at me.

"Let's go for a walk," she extended her hand to me and wiggled her fingers.

"Why'd you change your mind," I asked as my fingers found hers. I didn't move from the truck's tailgate and pulled her toward me. She was between my legs as she looked up at me.

"Let's go for a walk." Even through the beer filled haze, something didn't feel right.

"Lainy," I asked. She tugged my hand and took a step backwards. Her smile faltered and there was something flickering in her eyes. I stumbled as my feet landed on the ground.

"How many did you have?"

"A few," I mumbled.

"Try a six pack," Joe held up the small box now containing the proof.

"Great," she mumbled as we started walking. She wrapped my arm over her shoulders as her other arm looped around my waist.

"What made you decide it was a good idea?"

"I said something stupid earlier and realized how much I wanted it."

"To Heather," I chuckled.

"No," I felt her body shake as she took a deep breath. "To Jasper."

"I must be really drunk. I thought you just told me that your ex-boyfriend made you realize you wanted to be quarterback."

"That's because I did." Her hair brushed my hand as she lowered her head.

"Did you see him tonight?"

"Yeah." My arm fell from her and I stumbled to the side landing on the hood of someone's car. She rubbed her arms as she kicked at the grass.

"Why were you with him?"

"Finn." My name hung in the air between us. "I went to a party. He was there."