Chapter 8

Her lips were softer than I thought they would be given how much she bit them

Her lips were softer than I thought they would be given how much she bit them. As each word left her mouth, I felt her slipping away. I knew she meant everything she said, but I could see it in her eyes that she hated saying it.

Blain stiffened as my lips crashed to hers and I was worried I had gone too far. Preparing to retreat from this suicide mission, I stopped when her fingers hooked around my belt loops. With little effort, she held me in place. My body was pressed to hers. She was trapped between me and the counter behind her.

With a tilt of her head, her lips shifted against mind and I was pulled deeper into the rabbit hole. My hands let her face and snaked around her slender waist. The heat radiating through her tank top warmed my arm and body as I pulled her even closer.

My hands began to roam her body when a snore from the other room reminded me where I was. My forehead rested against hers as we caught our breath. She was staring at me with wide eyes and an even wider grin. Another snore came from the other room and took her attention from me. .

"That wasn't your first kiss, was it," I asked. My racing heart was unstoppable as she looked up at me through her lashes.

"Don't tell my brother." I pulled back as a deep laugh rattled my body. She smacked my chest trying to hide her smile, "It's not funny."

"How exactly do you think I would tell your brother? So I kissed Blaine and she was a pro. Yeah. That will go over well." My fingers played with the hem of her tank. As she bit her lip, I took a step back. We needed space between us. Her smile faded and her arms folded over her chest.

"You didn't have to kiss me."

"I didn't," I rubbed the back of my neck. "But I wanted to." Red stained her cheeks as she bowed her head. My own smile returned as I watched her wiggle her toes as anxiety washed over her.

"What now?' Her voice was so soft, I thought it was my own thoughts. Her eyes met mine and I struggled to find the words. I knew what I wanted to say. Judging by the spark in her beautiful hazel eyes they were the same words she wanted to hear.

"Nothing." The lump in my throat grew as did the tension in my neck.

"But you just... And I thought..." she couldn't form single sentence.

"Did you think we would date?" She shrugged and looked away toward the living room.

"If Lucas wasn't my brother would we even be having this conversation?"

"We wouldn't."

"Then let's pretend for a few minutes that I have no brother." Those hazel eyes drew mine in. The spark had returned as she took a small step toward me. "Let's pretend you can say whatever you want without consequences."

"Lainy," I scrubbed my hand over my face.

"I would tell you that I have a list of rules. Make good grades. Keep my head down. Stay clear of my brother's friends," she paused and bit her lip after the last one. "I don't want to keep my head down anymore. I don't want to be remembered as Lucas' little sister, if I'm remembered at all. I want to be happy and feel like someone likes me for me. Your turn."