Chapter 42

The circulation in my fingers was nonexistent as I held tightly to the facemask of my helmet

The circulation in my fingers was nonexistent as I held tightly to the facemask of my helmet. The rain earlier in the day had turned the field into a swamp. It was misting now, keeping the white paint on the once green grass indecipherable. It only seemed fair that the first playoff game resembled the first home game of the season. Part of me felt left out, my uniform having being unsoiled.

I should be out there. Shane was taking a beating and needed a break. Coach knew it. The offensive coach knew it. Hell, the other team knew it. If they didn't, Shane wouldn't be wobbling as he struggled back to his feet. My brother was growling beside me as the refs let another dirty hit go free. My eyes flicked to Coach Gilly who was scrubbing his face as the offensive coach whispered in his ear. They both looked in my direction and Lucas shifted his stance.

"You know the rules, Laine." I turned my gaze to my brother and made sure it was telling him to shove the rules somewhere that my mother would be appalled to hear.

"Shane can't stand, Luke. How long before he forgets his own name?"

"That's not your call to make. Coach promised Dad that you weren't leaving the sidelines."

"We'll see about that." The comment couldn't have been better timed. Our last name was shouted, drawing both of our attention. Coach Gilly pointed at me as the offense came off the field. My brother grabbed my arm and grumbled a final warning. I shook him off before heading over to my coach.

"Russel," Coach shouted as he came stumbling off the field. After making his way to us, he propped his hand on my shoulder for stability. "Russel, get over to the PT. You're done. Lester."

"Yes, Coach."

"If I put you out there, you know what's going to happen, right? Not only will those boys be after you, but so will your folks."

"I understand all the risks. I want to be out there, Coach. I belong out there."

"She does." We both looked at Shane. One of the many masterminds trying to keep me behind the line. Sticking up for me now was a complete one eighty. "She should have been on the field in the first half."

"You have a quarter, Lester. Make sure it's a damn good one. You won't be getting another chance. Do you hear me?" I nodded earning a weary smile from the old man. He waved over the offensive coach. We were soon swarmed as my teammates realized what was happening. More than one smacked my pads in a show of respect. It might be my last chance to play, but it was going to be one that no one was going to forget. I'd make damn sure of that.

As the defense passed us, I felt my brother's heavy stare. It was the first jab of the night that would only multiple once I'm on the field. When I got off, my parents would be next. I could kiss any chance of going out after the game goodbye. As well as being trusted to go to school on my own. The leash they had me on was about to get shortened even further. That didn't matter as my teammates formed the wall around me. My focus had to be on the here and now.