Chapter 52

My memories of Thanksgiving at the Lester house were foggy, to say the least

My memories of Thanksgiving at the Lester house were foggy, to say the least. I knew there was a turkey, and the big Thursday night game playing in the living room. I also believe that we would have had pumpkin pie with whipped cream, too. Other than that though, nothing. I'm sure I could find some long lost hand turkeys colored in with crayon if I tried hard enough.

Standing in front of a house three times the size of the Russels made my palms sweat. The simple maroon dress, black tights and Mary Janes suddenly felt less than acceptable. The only time I ever crossed paths with Finn's family was at laid back birthday parties and summer barbecues. I knew that they were very well off, but this was more than well off. This place looked like Sleeping Beauty's cottage on steroids. Quint and charming with an air that suggested I wasn't worthy.

"Done gawking," Finn teased, his shoulder bumping mine.

"Not gawking," I mumbled as his mother watched us from the top step. I ducked my head from her gentle stare so I could pretend what I had to say was just between the two of us. "I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't a well disguised lion's den. I'm reconsidering this ridiculous dress and shoes."

"You're cute when you're nervous."

"Not now," I hissed. My eyes drifted to the shoes I hadn't worn in two years then glanced at his mother. "I'm used to deep dish instead of turkey during this holiday, remember? Something tells me that doing whipped cream shots every time the Redskins get a flag will be frowned upon."

"They're harmless," Finn's mother chimed in, taking a few steps toward us. "You wouldn't even know they were related to Conner."

"Zoey should be here, too. Her presence alone will steal all their attention."

"I hope so," I whispered as the two of them flanked me. With his hand on my lower back, Finn gently pushed me toward the three wide, concrete steps that led to a massive pair of wooden doors. His mother winked at me before ringing the doorbell. Seconds later a woman appeared and gestured for us to enter. She took our coats and purses then vanished down one of the many halls.

As we followed Mrs. James, I couldn't help but stare this time. Beautiful oil paintings hung in detailed frames below gallery styled lights. A long narrow table held two vases the size of a standard globe with bouquets of orange and yellow flowers. A candelabra sat in the middle of the table with seven candlesticks that had yet to be lit. I looked over to Finn to find the corner of his mouth twitching.

"It's not funny."

"It kind of is," he chuckled, his hand scratching his jaw to hide his amusement. I was preparing to elbow him when we rounded the corner and I felt every set of eyes in the room land on us. His mother floated into the room and began greeting the in-laws. Finn waited for my feet to unglue before taking a step in his family's direction. He was avoiding the corner of the room where Zoey was waiting. A wicked smirk was painted in red as she watched the initiation process.