Chapter 49

Last night felt like a dream

Last night felt like a dream. St. Peter's began to turn on each other after we got the two point conversion. The blame rolling off of them as they tried to regain control was the advantage we needed for the last two quarters. It was hard enough keeping them from scoring another touchdown. In the end, we had the drive to score two more times. We had taken down the undefeated, and we were on our way to the state championship.

There would be another bye week because of Thanksgiving. Coach Gilly referred to it as time to reflect and recuperate before we went head to head again. He had given us recommendations of how to spend the weekend. Very strong recommendations. Such as not joining any pick up games, or getting too carried away at the delicious feasts that were inevitable given the holiday.

Lucas had gotten a call from our father last night telling him congratulations for the win. No mention of passing it along to me and my efforts. I was included when he invited my brother to breakfast this morning. A day of sleeping in and lounging around the Russel's house was going to be wasted on another Lester show down. The envy I had for Finn, who was happily sleeping in my bed, was on a whole new level as I left him with a kiss on the cheek.

"You ready," Lucas asked as I came down the stairs. I made a face and my brother muffled a laugh. We were half way to his truck when he gave me the first warning to be on my best behavior.

"Any clue why they bothered summoning us at all," I mumbled from the passenger seat.

"I'm sure it had something to do with your attitude."

"That was weeks ago."

"So it took some time for their heads to stop spinning. Give them a break."

"You're not the one who had to escape from being reprogrammed. They threatened me, Luke, and put me under house arrest."

"I know, and I feel bad. Maybe this is their way of fixing things?"

"Mom is a few years too late."

The truck slowed as it pulled over to the curb to park. I stared at the house mocking me. The sun coming up painted the blue ranch house in a heavenly glow that should have set the damn place on fire. There was nothing about that place that deserved the warmth it was receiving. All the happiness that filled its rooms had been replaced with tension. The laughter and cheer silenced by the constant bickering.

"Please tell me we aren't actually going in there."

"It'll be an hour then we're done. You can get right back to your man."

"Is that jealousy I hear?" His brows furrowed as he got out of the truck. The door slammed as I slipped out after him. I patted his back then snaked my arm through his to pull him to a stop. "I don't want to do this, Luke. Can't we go to Dillon's instead? My treat."

"You're going to go in there, be pleasant and hear what they have to say."

"They have nothing to say to me, Lucas. It's all about you, and honestly I'm good with that." He cupped my face and lowered himself to stare me in the eye.