Chapter 17

Sitting beside my dad in the bleachers, I cringed at the sound of helmets clashing and the shrill cry of a whistle

Sitting beside my dad in the bleachers, I cringed at the sound of helmets clashing and the shrill cry of a whistle. Our team was getting the hell beaten out of them. We were down by two touchdowns and making little progress down the field. I could see my dad shaking his head as the crowd began to boo. Another holding penalty going uncalled. It was the third one this quarter and the crowd was losing their minds.

"Want to borrow my glasses," an older man in overalls yelled toward the field.

"You dropped the money they gave you on the twenty," another man shouted.

Shane was sacked on the fourth down and Westerly was given the ball. Three of my boys trotted to the sidelines in search of water while my fourth ran out. Shane was pacing and swinging his arm back and forth. That last hit rocked him too hard for my comfort. Joseph patted Finn on the back.

Finn.

He ignored me last night after he left and didn't reach out this morning. I didn't get to see him before the game either. The sound of the play being called tore me from my thoughts. Lucas was on the hunt as the defensive line blitzed and burst through the offensive line. My brother clipped one of his opponents, plowed through the gap and knocked Jasper on his back. The crowd cheered as one of the other linemen recovered the ball. Lucas stood over Jasper and said something as the quarterback got to his feet.

Jasper's helmet moved as he said something back causing my brother to get in his face. It took three of his teammates to pull him back before the ref intervened. He pointed at my brother, mostly giving him a warning. He then turned to Jasper and pointed at him.

"Boy better get his head on straight," my dad muttered as he crossed his arms.

"Everyone's on edge," I tried to excuse my brother's temper. "The crowd his fueling him. He'll shake it off."

The siren wailed over the scoreboard putting an end to the first half. The line at the concessions was down and around the building. The cheerleaders clustered near their water bottles. Their smiles faded, the cheeriness gone from sight. The football teams left for the locker rooms. My foot bounced as I bit my lip.

"You okay, Laine?"

"Yeah," I smiled at my dad. "This game is way too painful."

"Why don't you go grab us some waters?" He reached for his wallet and I waved him off.

"I've got it." I slipped through the crowds of fans stretching their legs and found the end of the line. I stared at the scoreboard, watching the seconds tick by. Once at the window, I ordered the waters and a burger for my dad. With fifteen minutes on the clock, I rushed the water and food to my dad. I told him I'd be back and weaved through the crowds now returning to their seats. Westerly players were filing out of their locker room and it was only a matter of time before our team emerged.

"Where you going pretty lady," one of the guys called out as I passed by. I gave them the middle finger as the home team's locker room emptied onto the sidewalk. Finding the familiar white eleven, I waved to get his attention. He shook his head and turned away from me.