Chapter 60

Being on the receiving end of the kick off had been the first of many nasty tricks

Being on the receiving end of the kick off had been the first of many nasty tricks. Instead of being a proper kick to our receiver, it was a squib. Gliding close to the ground and bouncing off Joseph's leg before he dove to claim it. That stunt put us at the thirty yard line, in our own backyard. It was the worst possible position to be in at the start of any game. This one was especially bad.

Two touchdowns under the Bengals name and we saw the next attack. The massive linemen were split with four on the line and three behind them. The three leapt over our line with their arms ready to wrap, yank and drag our players down. The blitz technique wasn't like anything we'd faced and they were using it to their advantage.

Corey cursed under his breath when they stripped the ball loose from Greg. Poor guy was feeling the same pressures as the rest of us, but it was worse for him. He was a backup that hadn't expected to play in the State Championship. Had it not been for that bad hit a few games back, Noah would be suited up and in his place.

"We need to get clear of those giants," Gilly growled as he passed us. The demand had Corey and I brainstorming instantly. Shane and Finn stepped up as it became obvious what we were doing.

"I think we need to get deeper in the backfield," Shane panted out. Finn had his hands on his hips as he tried to steady his own breathing.

"We need the line to block better. Pop up faster, or something," Finn chimed in.

"Joseph," I shouted, waving him over.

"What's up, Little Lester?"

"I need to know what you're hearing out there."

"I'm hearing shouting," he mumbled. I glanced at the scoreboard and saw it was third and sixteen. They were close enough for a field goal attempt, but wouldn't dare something that easy. This was all about humiliation and delivering the ball over that line was always going to be their reason for the drive. That meant we had a solid five minutes to get something together.

"Listen to them out there. We need to narrow down when they are calling for the blitz."

"He's right. You can't hear shit on the field. I can barely hear Gilly calling plays." Shane was starting to look worn down, and it was still early. I looked at Corey and he was already shaking his head.

"We can't pull him out."

"Then put me in for Greg."

"It would be like the St. Peters game," Finn offered with a shrug. "They won't expect her in a position that isn't in the pocket."

"They have our film for the season. They know that if she and Russel are on the field at the same time that we are up to something."

"Never underestimate the simple minded," Shane mumbled.

"Or Little Lester," Joseph jumped in, defending me.

"All I need is one series. Then you can pull me out and we can work out a game plan."