Chapter 40

"Are you even allowed back at school," Shane asked as he hopped on to the wall beside me

"Are you even allowed back at school," Shane asked as he hopped on to the wall beside me. My head was still throbbing, but I didn't want to be trapped in that house anymore. My mother hovering like she had any right to suddenly care. There was no buffer since my dad was gone for work and Lucas only stopped by to check in on me for a few minutes. Then he was gone again, off to crash at Shane's.

"I forced my doctor to give me a note," I answered with a little shrug.

"A little girl like you forced a grown ass man to give you permission to come back," Joseph teased, elbowing my thigh as he leaned onto the wall of pavers. My brother was inside somewhere, already starting his day. Which would explain why his friends were currently swarming me.

Finn grabbed Joseph's shoulder and pulled him away from me. He mirrored Shane, as he settled in beside me. His arm wrapped around my waist. There was a soft kiss to my temple as he told me good morning.

"So, playoffs start this week," I chirped, trying to find a new conversation. I was tired of the focus on me and this damn concussion. "Did they already announce the match ups?"

"Nope. They're doing them tomorrow night. Coach is throwing a preview party."

"Are we going," I asked, looking at Finn. His eyes darted to the others as if waiting for permission. "You're kidding me. I'm not sitting at home while you guys get to have all the fun."

"Laine," Finn started. He stopped when I raised my hand. It was Shane's turn.

"Luke filled us in on the drama at home. Even if we could all go, your folks would shut that down in a heartbeat. They find out you actually went, you can bet you'll be on lock until your twenty one. Sorry, Lainy. You aren't going."

"In case you assholes forgot, I don't do well with being told what to do." I jumped down from the wall, snatched my backpack and stormed past Heather. I could hear her asking what the trio did that made me so mad. The accusations and warnings coming out too quick for any of them to answer. Lucas may have been my sanctuary, standing between me and danger. Heather was the guard dog. Lunging for the attack in my defense.

"Sorry to interrupt." I smiled at Cam and Keegan. They were sitting on opposite sides of the table as I approached them. Cam blushed like mad while Keegan just beamed at me. The jock and the quiet nerd. I thought only Finna and I fit into the category. Keegn's smile faltered as mine faded.

"What's up, Laine?" Playing dumb didn't play long after Keegan called me out with a finger trained on my face.

"Boys trying to tell me what I can and can't do," I grumbled, straddling the bench Cam was sitting on. "Did you know about the party tomorrow night?"

"Yeah. Coach told us at practice yesterday." His voice trailed off as he realized why I was asking. "No one passed it on to you?"

"Apparently, they don't want my parents to turn me into Rapunzel or something. Please tell me you're not on their side."