Epilogue

The scent of fresh cut grass used to be one of my favorite smells

The scent of fresh cut grass used to be one of my favorite smells. Nothing in the world had compared to it until my junior year of high school. Staring down from my place in the bleachers, I pushed the sunglasses back up the bridge of my nose and smiled. Memories of doing the same drills as the players down on the field came rushing back as if I had forgotten them. The chirp of the whistle had summoned the players to the sidelines where Coach was standing with his staff.

Rising to my feet, I took in the surrounding area. Not too much had changed in the last five years. The track was still painted in vibrant shades against the black tar. The concession stand, although wasn't open, had the menu tacked up near the start of the line. The holsters fashioned out of PVC were waiting for their flags along the back of the bleachers.

One of the newer features was a tribute to my legacy. Mine and the boys in my life. Huge placards shaped like our home state had been attached to the outer gym, facing the field. The year and our division were printed above the two words that warmed my heart each time I saw it. State Champions. Back to back champs was something only I was able to be proud of. My brother and his friends were able to do it, but I was.

As the players let out a howl they signaled the end of practice and started toward the gym. Like my younger self had done dozens of times, I hopped down from my place on the beachers and began the trek toward the field.

"Heads up," a familiar voice shouted and I turned in time to see a football soaring toward me. I caught the ball and grinned at my brother who was waving for me to throw it back. Doing as he asked, I heard the surprised gasps from some of the players who had lingered. He shooed them to the locker room as I walked over to him.

"How are they looking, Coach?"

"You tell me."

"Well," I sighed, "Your tight end isn't waiting for his opening. He's just hitting whoever he wants. And your back up center is slow moving."

"Something good would be nice to hear right about now."

"You can pull off a polo better than I thought."

His arm wrapped around my neck to trap me in a loose choke hold. My joke made him chuckle which made me laugh with him. When he released me, I turned to find the head coach. My brother walked over to him and took some of the equipment that the team failed to take responsibility for. Coach Corey waved to me as I offered to take some of the equipment as well.

"Head coach looks good on you," I offered. My former offensive coach grinned sheepishly.

"It's been six years, and it still feels strange hearing it." He rubbed the back of his neck for a few seconds before turning his attention to me. "I thought Luke said you were up in Wisconsin. What are you doing back this way?"

"Moving back thanks to a job transfer to Chicago."

"Chicago? That's pretty convenient."

"I think it was requested," Lucas teased, elbowing me as he pushed past. "Can't stay away any longer."