Chapter 41

I was going to kill Heather

I was going to kill Heather. Whether it was before or after Blaine was still to be decided. A heavy hand landed on my shoulder and the voice asked what I was doing staring out the window. He let out a low whistle then chuckled as the two slipped out of Heather's beaten sedan. There was a look of determination etched into Blaine's face as the pair strolled up the open front door. It took her all of a second to see me and Shane before walking in the opposite direction.

"She's ignored you for worse." Shane smacked my back then left me to greet someone calling his name.

She did ignore me for worse. A whole week and half's worth following my own two weeks of ignoring. It was hard to imagine us getting back to where we were. Especially now that shit at her house has hit the fan. The lockdown and threats were only going to agitate her. She was going to lash out at anyone who dared to pick the wrong side. Starting with her brother and running all the way up the ladder to me.

Coach's surprising cheer when he finally spotted Blaine. There was a groan as he called for me, Shane, Joseph and Lucas. All chatter softened as we each tried to spy each other from across the room. One by one, like the beaten dogs we were to become, we entered the kitchen. Coach didn't crook his finger or point toward the office. He didn't say anything either as we trailed after him and Blaine.

"Does someone want to explain to me why my backup QB was being kept out of this team event," he growled when Joseph shut the door. He spat the word team at us hard enough to slap us. Blaine plopped down into one of the oversized reading chairs. Her legs crossed at the knee while her arms did the same over her chest. We all looked at each other trying to figure out what story we were going to use. Coach's hand slammed against the top of the desk. "Do I need to bench all of you next week?"

Playoff was screaming in all of our heads and had rolled half way out of Joseph's mouth. Coach's eyes flicked and narrowed on the lineman. The lineman with one big, ass mouth. He had singled himself out with a syllable.

"We were trying to not rock the boat, Coach."

"What the hell are you talking about?" His eyes drifted to Blaine then followed her gaze to Luke. "I was warned that this little group was going to be trouble. For three years I was proud that you had proved them wrong. Now, in your final year, you choose to be a group of idiots. Either you tell me what I'm missing, or we'll have more trouble then the four of you could imagine cooking up."

"Blaine isn't supposed to be leaving the house," Luke announced.

"She's grounded?" Coach eased against his desk, hands perched on the edge.

"More like being held captive," Blaine interjected.

"So you're revolting by coming to a school orientated event." She shrugged as an answer. "Why is your sister, what did you say, being held captive?"

"My parents are pulling the plug on her playing football next year. We were trying to prevent her from losing the chance to finish out this season."