Chapter 36

I don't remember much of the party after being shoved into the pool by my friend

I don't remember much of the party after being shoved into the pool by my friend. My mind was consumed with Finn and only Finn. The way my body had given in so easily to his touch. As if no time had passed between us and the fight never took place. It was all false illusions, but there was no pushing them aside.

He didn't let me leave his side either. Silently claiming to stay near without me having to ask. It must have been to prove to Lucas that he was serious about wanting to be back in my life. To be a part of this group again. The determination was woven into each move he made and the words he spoke.

Heather giggled in Joseph's arms as he whispered in her ear. Mirroring their earlier position, my back rested against Finn's chest. His fingers danced over my forearm and hand. Coaxing me to relax farther into him. I watched in a daze as people began to fade with the sun. The yard emptied and soon Heather and Joseph snuck away too.

All that was left was my brother, Shane, Finn and I. There was no doubt Lucas wouldn't leave until Finn did. I understood his hesitation to trust his friend. A part of me was still weary about letting him back in. Though the pain had dulled from the warmth his body provided it didn't change the past. He said hurtful things, just as I had done terrible things in return.

"You look ready to pass out." The breath tickled my ear causing shivers to roll over my body. A sensation that felt like ages since I'd last felt. I nodded slowly, my fingers playing with his lazily. "Then lets get you tucked in."

"Staying," I mumbled, burrowing deeper into his warmth.

"Luke will drag me out by my hair."

"Screw him."

"I'll crash on the couch."

"So will I."

"Shut up and get upstairs," he grumbled in my ear as he patted my thigh. I growled in disagreement, but scooted toward the edge of the lounger. My legs were shaky from the combination of earlyers alcohol consumption and having been sitting for so long. A firm hand was on my hip before I had time to sway too far. A gasp left me as Finn scooped me up into his arms. My arms wound their way around his neck instinctively as my head rested against his shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going," Lucas hollered from the other side of the pool.

"Just taking her upstairs. Then I'll be back down."

"Scout's honor," I added with a giggle.

"Good night, love birds," Shane called. The splash and sputtering chuckles could only mean my brother had reprimanded his best friend. The only time I moved from my comfortable spot was to help open the doors we needed to pass through. First the patio door, then the door leading to my borrowed bedroom. I did have to stop him from going to what had originally been my room.

"Why are you in Lucas' room?" He set me down on the masculine comforter.

"I didn't exactly feel like staying in the other one. Not after what happened. It wasn't right." There was a split second when he looked guilty. Crouching down to eye level, he pushed some hair from my face. The guilt was still there, but the apologetic overwhelmed those green eyes.