Chapter 50

I woke up at the Russel's house to an empty bed and a note on the pillow where Blaine had been laying

I woke up at the Russel's house to an empty bed and a note on the pillow where Blaine had been laying. She had surprisingly feminine handwriting for being a tomboy. She had promised to be back from her errand around eight. Stretching across her side of the bed, I searched for my phone on the nightstand. My brow furrowed as I read the time on the screen. She was an hour late.

"Hey, pretty boy," Shane mused from the doorway. His arms were crossed over his chest as he leaned against the door frame. "Mom wants to know if you want breakfast, or if you're going to see your own family today?"

"I should probably go home," I grumbled, burying my face in the pillow. It smelled like her and I was kicking myself for letting get to me. This girl was something else and every day I was with her I was getting closer to saying that four letter word. I looked over at Shane who was studying me with a mischievous grin curling onto his face. "Is Luke here?"

"Nope. The Lester family is having breakfast."

"The whole family?"

"Yup. Luke got a call last night from their Dad." He shrugged as if it were no big deal. Maybe it was because it wasn't any of our business. Either way he made it known that he wasn't for him, or me, to ask questions. "Go home, man. Check in on your folks."

There won't be much to check in on. Once they had heard Blaine and I were back together things got more tense. Between me and them. Between each other. The nights I was home, they barely talked other than when we were at the dinner table. That is when my father was home. He'd been spending more time at the office. I'm going to play dumb and assume it is honestly work related.

My mother buried herself in all sorts of committees and clubs. Clearly, she was avoiding the elephant in the room better than I was. She was keeping up all the big events while giving the same party line at each one. My father was disappointed that he couldn't make it, but business is business. I think she had plenty of practice from telling me where he was on the nights I bothered to ask.

The Lester's might have their own shit to work out, but dealing with that sounds better than whatever fantasy world my parents were living in. They were always arguing. Whether it was because they were trying to prove they cared, or simply because they wanted to care. It was still bickering with feelings. The last time I remember my parents showing any emotion, other than disappointment for my current choice in girlfriend, was when I first started football.

The pride pouring from my dad was nauseating. My mother was no better as she returned from an afternoon of shopping to show me her latest purchases. Various tops and dresses that matched our school colors. She called it her game day gear. The first time we won a game they were waiting for me outside the locker room prepared to celebrate. My father embraced me with a strong pat on the back. My mother clapped excitedly as she waited her turn to congratulate me.

We are knocking on the doors to the Illinois High School Association's State Championship for football. We are at the top of the conference, and the county. Shane, Lucas and I had broken a dozen records this year. None of it seemed to stir the same amount of pride they had three years ago. Not since my girlfriend ended up on the field. They didn't have one positive thing to say about the games they'd witnessed. There was no excitement when they greeted me outside the locker room. The joy they had shown after each milestone in my life was easily forgotten.