Chapter 9

Heather had been surprised when I told her we were going to the field party

Heather had been surprised when I told her we were going to the field party. I thought she was going to fall over dead when I picked out an outfit that was both me and would be approved by her. She did my make-up, and I didn't fight her. I had straightened my hair earlier and let it hang free.

The looks I was getting built my self-esteem as we worked through the various crowds. We had two drinks each before I caught sight of my brother's truck. Feeling the buzz I grabbed my friend's hand and pleaded for her to dance with me. In no time at all we were swarmed. It wasn't until Peter and Miles joined us that I had forgotten all about last night.

Finn wanted space then I would give him space. I wasn't ready to hide behind my shell yet. That little taste of freedom was too good to let go of. I wanted more of it. I wanted to not care what people thought. I wanted to kiss every guy I could. There was no turning back now. Feeling the buzz starting to fade, I looked at Miles and asked if we could get a drink.

Unlike Owen and Finn, he was paying me just the right amount of attention. He wasn't afraid of talking too much, which he was. There was no hesitation when he pushed my hair from my face, but his hand didn't linger either. Even now, as he handed me a bottle from the cooler, he was still talking. Something about one of the soccer tournaments he played in over the summer. I forced a smile and laughed when he did.

Without meaning to, I found Finn. Jade Fletcher had her arms tangled around him while she made herself comfortable on his lap. My blood boiled at the sight, but I didn't let it show. Reaching out for Miles' hand I did the third stupidest thing in my life.

"Want to go for a walk? The music is starting to give me a headache." The boy was too excited as we left the warmth of the fire and got lost in the scattered cars. I pulled us to a stop when we reached the last few cars.

"I heard about Owen," Miles' frowned. It was a silent and genuine apology.

"He's an ass. That's nothing new." My thumb rubbed over the top of his hand. "It's hard finding the good guys."

"And where do I rank so far?"

"Better then Owen," I leaned toward him. He licked his lips, well aware of what I was about to do.

"There you are." The voice sent a roar of flutters through me. Miles pulled away from me completely, looking to Finn like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Here I am. Now, you can go." I kept my gaze fixed on Miles. Even the thought of looking at Finn split me in two.

"I can't do that."

"Go away," I growled then took a sip from the bottle in my hands. A hand snatched the bottle from me. My head snapped to Finn. Just as I was about to protest, he nodded his head in the direction of the party. Not wanting to take a chance, Miles rushed away from us.

"What were you thinking," he asked taking a sip from my bottle. "Do you know how hard it was to convince your brother to leave you alone tonight? Then you pull this shit."