Chapter 10

"This paper is due in two weeks you know," Finn frowned at me from the far end of the couch

"This paper is due in two weeks you know," Finn frowned at me from the far end of the couch. Our World History book was on the coffee table along with two notebooks and crumpled up outlines. We had agreed to work on the assignment at his house and I would tell my brother I was at Heather's. It felt stupid to lie since we really did have the class together. I wasn't ready to take the chance.

"What's your point?"

"We can't even agree on the topic."

"Focus on Elizabeth is too typical. Everyone has done it. It's even been turned to movies and shows."

"Why are you so difficult?"

"You can write it then," I stuck my tongue out at him.

"You two sound like your getting along," Finn's mother smiled at us from over the couch. She was pretty. Finn inherited her eyes and smile.

"Like fire and gasoline," I smiled up at her. She cupped my cheek.

"Be nice to my boy Miss Blaine."

"Yes ma'am."

"I have to run and grab some stuff for dinner. Will you two be civil until I get back?" I snorted and Finn shook his head at me. "Good."

She grabbed her keys and left us in the empty house. The radio in the kitchen was the only thing filling the practical silence. I watched as Finn fidgeted across from me. He caught me staring and adjusted on the couch and was hunched over the coffee table.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me," I shifted beside him. Our thighs touching as I mirrored his pose. Fear that he would put space between us made me nervous. There was no hesitation as he bumped his knee against mine.

"Still a lot to get used to," his shoulders rose and fell, but the quirk of his lips told me it wasn't meant offensively.

"Because I'm a girl," I teased. "If I recall, you had no problem with that the other night."

A wide smirk graced his perfect face. His arm rested behind me on the couch. It wasn't quite close enough to touch me, but I could still sense it. Easing my body into the safety of his, he gave in and wrapped his arm around me.

"You are daring aren't you." Without waiting for an answer, our lips met and I was thrown back toward heaven. In one swift movement, I was on my back with Finn hovering over me. One hand rested on my hip while the other was beside my head, supporting his weight. My hands gripped at his shirt, fighting to urge to pull it free. We needed to go slow. I wanted to go slow.

"Finn," I whispered between kisses. His nose brushed mine as he stared at me. He apologized as he sat back. My hand tightened its hold on the soft cotton. "Don't apologize. It's just, I think we should take our time. And I really don't want your mom coming home and finding us, like that."