Chapter 32

To say I felt like a jackass would be an understatement

To say I felt like a jackass would be an understatement. The way I treated Blaine was out of line. I probably still would be treating her like shit if I hadn't gotten socked in the face. It was a brutal, much needed wake-up call. I should have been celebrating with her and the guys after she had won her first game. She killed it, too.

Everyone had doubts when the man in the announcers box called her name out in place of Shane's. Being stuck on the bench meant I could hear their chatter. Girls didn't belong on the field. Football is a true man's sport, and she'd only end up hurt. They went as far as to openly chastise her father for allowing her suit up.

I wanted to tell each of them to just shut up and watch. She was brilliant on and off the field. Seeing things that no one else had time to. Making adjustments to the ever changing movements of not only her teammates but also those she's facing off against.

There were a few close calls that her size and speed had made possible to dodge. Her passes were nearly perfect. Jeremy had bobbled a catch that we all thought would be stripped away. When he managed to control the ball, he took off and earned the fourth touchdown of the night. So many firsts that deserved a proper cheer. That wasn't going to include me though.

None of the guys have verbally shut me out. It had been my choice not to engage in the conversation. I worried about their reactions. Lucas would probably put me through a wall if I got within ten feet of his sister. Shane would let him if he didn't help. Joseph would be the only one who wouldn't physically react. That didn't mean he wouldn't have a glare and some choice words. Blaine... Blaine would be the most unpredictable.

Opting out of the field party, I walked into my house to find my parents on the couch. Dad was at one end of the couch while Mom was at the other. The perfect couple couldn't bother to sit next to each other in their own home. The sound of my bag hitting the floor only drew my mom's attention.

"No party tonight?"

"Not up for it," I grumbled as I kicked my shoes off.

"Is everything okay?" There was a hint of sincerity in her tone and I debated telling her. It's what I would have done years ago. Instead, I gave a quick nod and pointed with my thumb to the stairs.

"I'm going to take a shower and crash."

"That girl of yours was impressive tonight," my father bellowed. "Didn't know she had it in her to play with such a rough crowd."

"Yeah," I mumbled while forcing a weak smile, "She's pretty amazing."

The feeling of pride I had from my father's complement of Blaine lasted long after my shower. I was staring at my ceiling thinking about how I could use that as my opening. Just firing off a text letting her know that my father thought she was good out there. I could add in my own admiration and maybe work back into her good graces.

As if the glow of my phone screen chased away the bold gesture, I dropped the phone onto my bare chest. If I messaged her, I would ruin her night. Everything she had worked hard for, and earned would be tarnished the instant my name appeared on her phone. It would be selfish. I would say it was the lowest blow I could deliver, but that was already taken.