Chapter 26

It was as if an internal timer went off in Blaine

It was as if an internal timer went off in Blaine. After finally allowing my movie back into the running for the night, she was bouncing around the house while George Clooney and Brad Pitt bantered in the background. I was sitting on the couch waiting for her to rejoin me.

"What'd I miss," she asked as she sat beside me.

"Well, they just took over the security system," I answered looking her over. Her hair was pinned up and her make up was already in place. The only proof that today had been lazy was the oversized tee and pajama shorts with puppies all over them. I smiled as she yawned and leaned into me. "Are you sure you're going to make it?"

"I just need a minute," she mumbled as my arm wrapped around her. "Besides, the party will bring me back to life."

"You mean the alcohol will bring you back to life." She tilted her head to look at me and smiled. I shook my head at her and leaned down to kiss your softly. "Maybe we can take it easy tonight. Less drinking, and more dancing."

"Says the man who threw a fit when we told him he drank too much last night."

"If I do recall," I whispered in her ear, "You're the one who doesn't remember the night after her first party."

"Shut up," she shoved me. The smile on her face told me it wasn't a true threat but a promise of more choice words. "What time is it?"

"Eight thirty." She kissed my cheek and pushed off the couch to return to her room. "We have plenty of time you know. The dance doesn't end until nine, and no one will be there until at least nine thirty."

"Don't you want to get there while there is someplace to sit," she called from down the hall. I shook my head and rubbed my hands over my face. I watched as Matt Damon and George Clooney dangled in the elevator shaft and frowned. The movie was about over and she hardly watched a second of it.

"Laine," I grumbled as I got to my feet. I snatched my bag of clothes and wandered down the hall. I peeked through her bedroom and froze in place. Her outfits had been eye catching these days, but seeing her standing there in just her bra and underwear was something else entirely. I had to remind myself I had seen her in swimsuits every summer and this was no different.

My eyes couldn't stop from roaming over the black lacey bra, her flat stomach, those beautiful hips hidden by the matching panties and down to her toned legs. The undecided twist of her lips matched the hands on her hips as she stared into her closet.

"You going to keep staring or help me look for something to wear," she teased as she slowly turned to look at me. I shifted my bag and cleared my throat.

"I was going to change."

"Did you change your mind?"

"No," I shook my head slowly as I took a step into her room. I coughed as her arms crossed over her chest. The menacing smile meant she knew what she was doing. I threw my bag on her bed before approaching her. "Do we have to go?"