Chapter 3

"Are the rumors true," Heather asked as I sat down next to her at our table

"No I don't think Mr. Jones is pregnant."

"Not that one," she rolled her eyes and presented her phone to me. On the screen was an announcement for Shane's party.

"If it was on the internet," I shrugged.

"Why didn't you tell me? I have to prepare," her eyes fell to me and scanned my outfit. A flannel thrown over my Simple Plan tank top and ripped up jeans. "And so do you. We're going shopping tonight."

"I don't have money," I lied. I hated shopping with Heather. She had to go into every store, except the ones that I liked. I also ended up carrying most of the bags.

"Daddy'll pay," she flashed me a knowing grin. Her dad gave her a credit card for her sixteenth birthday instead of a car. Now, she uses it for everything and he has said anything about it. I didn't say anything else knowing better than to fight with her.

"She's alive," Cam practically dropped his chair as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Can't. Breath," I gasped tapping his arms.

"Why didn't you tell me you didn't die?"

"You thought I died?"

"When I pulled up to get you, Finn carried you to the car. You were passed out cold."

"Finn," I beyond confused.

"What do you remember from Friday night?"

"Not much," I sighed, then froze. The pressure from Heather's stare could be felt a mile away. "What?"

"You and Finn," she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"No," I shook my head, "No way. He's my brother's friend. One of the shining stars on the team."

"And pretending to be a knight and shining armor. Oh my god! Your kids would be gorgeous," she cooed as she reached over to pinch my cheeks.

"Stop it," I squealed as Cam joined her.

"She was cuddled against him as he carried her. She looked so peaceful. Do you think she's breaking on of her precious rules?"

"I'm going to the library," I muttered as I scooped up my books from the table and scurried across the cafeteria to the main hallway. My face was flushed as I snuck to the library. Had I really been cuddled against Finn? The thought brought back the flutters, but also the slight churn that I experienced at the party. For starters we had nothing in common. Then there was the rule I made about dating my brother's friends.

The librarian poked her head out of her office when she heard me come in. She nodded once with a soft barley-there smile before returning to her work. Setting my books on one of the tables, I scanned the shelves as I walked through them. The perfectly marked spines all called to me. A rainbow of colors and various fonts lining the way. Finding the book I started last week, I pulled it from the shelf and crossed my legs as I sat on the floor.