Chapter 38

Blaine had mocked us once when we rattled off one team after another as being our rivals

Blaine had mocked us once when we rattled off one team after another as being our rivals. Joseph laughed in agreement with her, while Shane and her brother looked hurt. I was on the fence. She was right, but wrong at the same time. When you were at the top of the conference anyone gunning for you was a threat.

Rockstern High was second, right behind Westerly. Their linemen were clones of Joseph and Lucas. Each of them packing two hundred pounds of solid muscle with the agility of pumas. Their running backs and wide receivers were quick and light on their toes. The only thing that was new to see was their quarterback. Well, technically their back up quarterback. Conner Lincoln had gotten laid out last week and this poor sophomore was struggling to fill his cleats.

Each of his passes were either too powerful that he kept over shooting his man, or way off course from their intended target. With that being their biggest weakness, it still got under my skin with the visitor's bleachers roared with the touch downs. Letting the score had been a mistake. Lucas was out for blood and the fans were supporting his attempts.

Shane and Blaine were attached at the hip when the defense was in. They were huddled together and every so often the offensive coach would be over in the mix. The marker whizzed over the dry-erase board on the back side of his clipboard. They were nodding as they formulated a new strategy. Noah and I were waved over as they all came up for a breath of air. The refs whistle screeched as they marked the second down. Rockstern was creeping closer to yet another six points.

Noah took up Shane's left side, craning his neck to eye the board. I sidled up to Blaine's side, our pads clicking as they met. Being this close to her, even while she looked like the rest of the guys on the field, always made my head spin. The black smudges under her eyes were running from the sweat she'd worked up from the last few times on the field.

The coaches had been putting a lot of faith in Blaine since she joined the team. An overwhelming amount. The last five games she'd been leading the charge of wins that had been added to our outstanding season. Shane took her to the side at practices and helped to perfect her already amazing skills. It proved to be well worth it.

"Lester. Greene. James." Our heads snapped to Coach. The scowl as he jabbed a finger at the field. Defense was rushing toward the sidelines and we were being ordered to take up our roles. Lucas and his line held off Rockstern from scoring, but only barely.

The ball was placed at the eighteen yard line in our territory. The time was ticking down on the scoreboard. Our fans were egging us on to drive the ball home. Eighty two yards was going to be a challenge with the ruthless defensive linemen chomping at the bit to get a piece of our girl. My girl.

The feminane voice called out the play and it was a miracle that it hadn't taken over all my senses. The second the ball was in her fingers Noah and I were surging forward. Ducking past blockers. Weaving past our Rockstern shadows. I could see Noah fading and his shadow sprinted in my direction.