Chapter 27

The music died down somewhere around one in the morning

The music died down somewhere around one in the morning. Even after staring at the ceiling for a half hour, I still couldn't fall asleep. I knew why he had done it. It was about honor. It was a sweet gesture, but so stupid. So incredibably and frustratingly stupid. I sat up and threw off the blankets. As mad as I was, I didn't have a right to blow up at him. Given he hadn't tried to come up and apologize yet, I knew he was punishing himself.

There were giggles coming from one of the rooms as I passed by and I gagged internally. Coming down the stairs, I scanned the living room. I found Heater, Joseph and Shane sitting at the dining room table. Joseph smiled at me and Shane nodded his head. I nodded to them, then glanced to the kitchen. When I turned back to the trio, Joseph tilted his head to the window. I mumbled a thank you before heading to the door in the kitchen.

Hunched over on one of the lounge chairs, Finn racked his hand through his hair. Opening the door gently, I stepped out and closed it again. Steam swirled off the heated pool as the chilled breeze swept through the yard.

"I'm sorry too," I whispered as I sat beside him.

"I didn't even apologize." His voice was soft.

"You've been down here for over an hour. I'm assuming you were working out an apology, or punishing yourself for not finding the words." He let out a weak laugh that ended in a heavy sigh. "It hurt, when he said it, and I liked how quick you were to stand up for me. You could have talked it out though. Bored him to death with words."

"He doesn't listen to words." His thumb brushed across my right hand, proving his point.

"I don't need someone willing to throw a punch for me," I looked over at him. Crystal clear, green eyes met mine. "I need someone willing to make me forget about what was said."

"I'm sorry."

"See, I knew you were going to apologize," I smiled. He sat back in the chair and offered me his hand. I took it, and settled beside him. I draped my arm across his waist, rested my head on his chest and looked at the sky. His hand covered mine as he nuzzled the top of my head. His arm wrapped around my shoulders, holding me closer to his warm body. "Finn?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me no more fighting?"

"Lainey." My head rose with his chest as he took a deep breath. "I can't promise that."

"Then no more letting me witness you fighting. Find a dark alley or something."

"I will do my best," he chuckled. I pushed off of him and smiled. Finn pointed at my face. "I know that look. You're about to do something crazy."

"We are about to do something crazy."

"I don't know if now is a good time for that," he teased as he sat up with me. "We're kind of in the open and your brother is upstairs."