Chapter 20

The walk back to Heather's didn't do much to calm me down

The walk back to Heather's didn't do much to calm me down. I had ranted the whole way. She nodded and agreed with all my blabbering. I could tell by the look on her face she was only agreeing to ease the tension knotting in my shoulders.

"Any parties tonight?"

"What," her eyes widened as she stared at me. She was sprawled out on her bed while I swiveled in the computer chair near her desk.

"I feel like doing something. I need to unwind."

"There's always the field party." I was shaking my head before she got the last few words out. She bounced on the bed to sit on her knees. "I can call around."

"Somewhere that isn't this stupid town would be perferred."

"Well," she bit her lip as she avoided my eyes. "My cousin's having a party."

"Perfect."

"Lainy," she started. Ignoring her, I went to her closet. The roles were reversed as I began searching her closet from something to borrow. I pulled out a fringe tank and a denim skirt. I held them up and examined myself in the mirror.

"What do you think?"

"I think you should tone down the dramatics."

"You'll get wrinkles if you keep making that face." I looked back in her closet and sought out a pair of shoes.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, Westerly isn't some place we should be so soon after they lost."

"It's a day for bad ideas apparently," I mumbled pulling out a pair of heeled booties. Glancing over my shoulder, I caught sight of the worried look in place of confusion. "Come on, Heather. This is what you wanted this year to be like, wasn't it? You and me, being crazy."

"This is crazy, Laine. This is self sabotage and you know it." I shrugged.

"Lessons to be learned."

"Maybe we should go to your place. We can order a pizza and catch up on Grey's Anatomy or something."

"I don't want to be anywhere near them right now."

"They'll be at the field party."

"No, they won't. They'll be waiting. Someone will be at the party. Another one will be at my house. Hell, I bet one of them has driven past here a dozen times since we left." I tossed the outfit on the bed beside her. "I need a night where I'm not being watched like a hawk. Please, Heather. I need a night."

With the bow of her head and a sigh, she gave me a little nod of agreement. I lunged at her and wrapped her in a hug. A chorus of gratitudes leaving me as I squeezed her. She swatted me away and we sat up.

Within an hour, we were standing in her cousin's living room. The party was in full swing as the guy pretending to be a DJ started another song. Heather grabbed my hand and lead me to the garage. The work bench had been cleared and various bottles now covered the wooden surface. We poured our drinks after doing a few shots and found our way back into the house.