Chapter 4

Pulling at the hem of the dress, I stumbled forward in the short heels Heather let me borrow

Pulling at the hem of the dress, I stumbled forward in the short heels Heather let me borrow. And by she let me, I mean she told me I had to. Going to Shane's was like being at home. I knew where everything was and how to navigate through the crowds to get just where I wanted to go. Taking Heather's hand in mine, I led the way to the lounge where I knew the bar would be. Less people filled this space and I was thankful.

"What do you have a taste for ladies," the guy behind the actual bar gazed at us before settling on my friend.

"Can we get two Twisted Teas, and two shots of Vodka." The guy nodded and reached into a cooler. I scanned the room and locked eyes with Owen. He was standing near the pool table, leaning on the pool queue in his hands. He nodded his head at me and gave me that dimple causing smile. "Wow, Laine. Who knew you'd be the player type."

"What," I spun back around to my friend. Two bottles were on the bar as the guy placed two plastic cups beside them.

"You were all about Finn at the last party, and now you are making eyes at Owen Smith," she tsked her tongue as she handed me one of the cups. "Looks like we should start with these. To a new year, and a new adventure."

I raised my glass to hers before throwing my head back and swallowing the clear liquid. Heather shook her head and a flirty smile doubled onto her face. She was about to bail on me for her own mission. Grabbing one of the bottles, she blew me a kiss then sauntered out of the room. I took a swig from my bottle and wandered to the doorway.

"Where are you going," Owen asked as he walked up to me.

"To find a spot to chill."

"Why don't you stay here? Since you showed up, Ryan has been missing every shot. You're like my good luck charm."

"I have to find someone real quick, but I promise I'll be back."

"Good," his eyes traveled over me and I could feel the heat racing up my neck. "I'd love that."

Slipping out of the room, I beelined for the kitchen. Lucas was there with same faces I've grown to love. My brother choked on the beer he started drinking when I came in. Joseph smacked him on the back asking him if her was okay. Shane raised an eyebrow before turning to look at me. His eyes tripled in size as did Joseph's. My nervous smile faltered as I shrugged.

"Wow," Joseph gasped. It was followed by a yelp as my brother smacked him.

"Well, well, little Lainy." Shane nodded, appraising me. "There are two sides to every coin."

"Tell me you have a change of clothes and this is just a joke," my brother glared.

"We're at a party, Luke. What was I supposed to wear?"

"Something that covered more of you."

"I tried. Heather wasn't going for that." Finn glanced at me from head to toe. Unlike Owen, his stare didn't make me uncomfortable. When his eyes met mine, he finished off his beer and disappeared for a refill. "Now that I've checked in, I'm going back to the lounge."