Chapter 29

The last person I expected to see sitting in the stupid, uncomfortable chair across the room when I woke up was Lucas

The last person I expected to see sitting in the stupid, uncomfortable chair across the room when I woke up was Lucas. There he was. The weight of the world clearly weighing on his shoulders. Exhaustion plagued his face as he stared at his phone.

I let out a huff of air as I pushed myself to sit facing him. His head snapped up as the pillow squished behind me. The grip on his phone tightened for a second before he set it down on the desk. His fingers rubbed at his eyes as I picked up one of the white cartons on the nightstand.

"I thought you were done with this running shit," he grumbled as his hand slid down his face.

"I thought you were done losing your temper." I used the chop sticks to bring a piece of beef to my mouth.

"I'm serious, Laine." He hunched over, resting his elbows on his knees. "I heard you've been sneaking out and crashing at other people's houses."

I wanted to shrug. I wanted to show how little I cared. I couldn't though. The worn down man across from me looked more like my father then my brother. Guilt ate at me as I used the chopsticks to stir up the contents in the box. He sighed as he shifted in the chair.

"If Dad knew you weren't sleeping at home, he'd lose his mind."

"If Dad knew a lot of things he'd lose his mind, Luke."

"Why?" I glanced at him and debated the answer. "The guys seem to have an idea, but I want to know from you."

"What do the wise men think?"

"Can't you just answer a simple question?"

"I learned from the best," I pinched a piece of broccoli with the sticks and studied it. "I just don't like being at home."

"I don't understand why."

"No one's there. Dad's working all the time. You're always with Lily."

"You can invite Heather over, or Cam."

"You don't get it." I set the box on the nightstand and threw off the blankets.

"Then explain it to me. Tell me what is rolling around in that head of yours."

"In six months, it'll just be me. You'll be off doing whatever it is high school graduates do the following summer. Finn will be working on improving his game for college. Joe and Heather will be too distracted with each other."

"We'll still be around, Laine. We'll still take trips to the beach, and enjoy the summer to the fullest. The band isn't breaking up."

"Not yet." I let my feet brush over the thick carpet. "I'm trying to find balance before shit hits the fan."

"Can we revisit your beef with Lily?"

"You don't want to hear what I have to say," I muttered, my hand running through my unruly hair. He got to his feet before dropping onto the bed beside me. His body nudged mine. Gentle at first, then the second and third caused me to rock to the side. "Promise me, you won't lose your shit."