Chapter 57

The last time I had been on a date, I was a freshman still enrolled in high school

The last time I had been on a date, I was a freshman still enrolled in high school. That date was to the big homecoming dance. Or the big let down as I called it. He was stumbling around drunk and extra handsy. But he was the captain of the basketball team. The catch of all catches in the high school world. If only people actually got to know who they were vouching for before they did. That pedestal was the only thing holding him up the entire night.

At the start of my junior year, I took the General Education Development test and passed. Needless to say, neither of my parents were thrilled with me. I basically dropped out of high school without discussing it with them. Forging my signature didn't do me any favors. Then the inheritance made things more unbearable. I was out early, so I could enroll early. I could invest it in the stocks or bank accounts. Reasonable and financially sound ideas for more money than I knew what to do with.

Buying the warehouse was the last screw you to them. Reminding me every day that art was never going to pay the bills had gotten to me. I needed some place that had less negativity and freedom. My cousin had come by and helped me clear out the junk from the previous owner. It took nearly two years for the rundown building to become something I was proud of. A place that I could spend hours at and not notice the day wasting away. Paint stained jeans. My hair in a chaotic style.

Sitting in the bleachers, I wished I had been back in my church. Lucas' practice was supposed to be over half an hour ago. It didn't seem like their coach was ever going to let them go. Watching Blaine and Finn lift each other up after a bad was admirable.

I thought he would never move on from Melody. They were together for a few months, but he was so deep that I don't think he knew what day it was if he'd been asked. They were cute, too. She was no Blaine though. That girl was fierce and selfless. She was willing to do anything to keep those around her happy. Melody, well, she was Melody. She wasn't mean or rude, but she wasn't anything spectacular.

The coach's raised voice had me focusing on the field again. He was in Shane's face, finger curling around the bars of the facemask. It was the most entertaining part of watching this circus of meat heads. The great Shane Russel being put in his place amongst his fans. The smug bastard had it coming.

"You must be Zoey." My head spun around to find a gangly boy standing on my bench. Sunglasses hid his eyes from me making it difficult to tell if he was looking at me or the scene unfolding on the field. He waved a finger near his head then pointed back to me. "It's the hair. Laine said you usually have an unnatural color."

"Is that how she describes it," I asked, watching him take the seat beside me.

"Of course not," he laughed. "She said it's a bright ass purple. I was trying to be nice."

"Bright ass purple is more accurate." I offered him my hand. "And you're right. I'm Zoey."

"Cam." He nodded back toward the field as they lined up to run the ridiculous play again. "You here to see Blaine and Finn?"